returned SR225, suggestions?
Mar 11, 2005 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
With some regret, I shipped the SR225 back to Todd after a couple of weeks. I ordered the SR225 because people said it was the sweet spot in the Grado lineup, and I like the SR60.

But I found the sound too harsh in the upper end (I listen mainly to vocals -- jazz, classical, contemp. christian). I know part of the Grado signature is the bright sound but I found it too bright for my taste. I also found the bowls to be uncomfortable.

Is the Grado sound not for me? I love my SR60, and I found the SQ improved with modded Senn 414 pads (thanks, holeinmywallet). Problem with the modded Senn pads is that my ears started to ache after a 10 or 15 minutes. I want to try Todd's flats to see how comfortable they are, but so far, the comfort pads are just that, darn comfortable.

My other headphone is the HD595. I agree with many people's comments that the Senn sound is "laid back." I like the overall clarity of the HD595, but I want some more oomph and I thought the SR71 would do that but I want more. Well, my HD595 is not burned in yet so maybe things will get better eventually.

There's a local hi-fi store with the HD650, so I plan to try it out in the near future. But am I looking for sound that my portable rig can't deliver? I'm listening to EAC ripped LAME 320 vbr MP3s. I wish I would have found Head-Fi a little earlier so I could have attended the Seattle meet earlier this year.

Mar 11, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 15
Did you try diff pads with the sr225? Bowls emphasize the treble so they will sound harsh, they'll sound even harsher on sr60.

You could try headphile cpads for added comfort, soundstage, bass boost, tames treble. If you like the sr60, there should be no reason you don't like 225. I think your decision to return was premature, maybe you didn't explore all the options?

Mar 11, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Did you try diff pads with the sr225? Bowls emphasize the treble so they will sound harsh, they'll sound even harsher on sr60.

You could try headphile cpads for added comfort, soundstage, bass boost, tames treble. If you like the sr60, there should be no reason you don't like 225. I think your decision to return was premature, maybe you didn't explore all the options?

^^Agree completely^^

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
Did you try diff pads with the sr225?

I tried the comfort pads and the modded Senn pads. Comfort pads just killed 225's SQ, and the Senn pads hurt too much.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 15
You need to bend the headband outwards. Too much pressure is on your ears.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
^^Agree completely^^

You guys are making a good run at making me cry... almost
biggrin.gif

I didn't want to put more money into $175 cans (I got a good price from Todd so this made me really hesitate returning them), so I opted to forgo the headphile cpad. If higher end Grado's have less harsh treble, I'd definitely consider them and would do more mods on them.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 15
I also have noticed that the SR-225 headphones tend to develop characteristics that are not present under 40 hours of usage. At approximately 40 hours of use highs were seemingly tamed and at 200-300 hours of use I have observed a significant change/ increase in detail. If you did not allow for sufficient burn in I would assume your listening experience fell short of SR-225 capabilities.

Best,
iDesign

Mar 12, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 15
If you didn't let the 225's burn in for at least 60 hours...you haven't heard them yet.

I agree on the Senn pads, and stretching the headband. Heck, taking the comfies off the 60's would be an improvement over the bowls. If you put the bowls on the 60's, that would be interesting what you think.

Mar 12, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
You found the SR225 brighter than the SR60?

jesse

Yes. I found the SR225 much clearer than the SR60 on all levels and the high ends were annoyingly bright.

Based on the responses thus far, it looks like I didn't give the SR225 enough time.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 15
My thoughts are similar to what has already been posted. The SR225 changes pretty dramatically after being used for a few dozen hours...bass response improves and the treble calms down a bit. At first I thought the treble was fairly harsh, but wondered if that was because I had been used to the smoothness of my MS-2. However, after putting some hours on the SR225, the highs are much more tolerable and they just sound so much better overall.

Compared to the SR60 or SR80 (which can be shrill/harsh at times), the SR225 is a significantly more refined headphone.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 15
well learn from you mistake and dont pass judgement on the 595 till you put some more time in them. How many hours did you put on the sr225? Its kinda strange that you would think that the sr225 is brighter, but hey everyone's hearing is different. And if you like the sr60 better then you just save yourself some money.

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastside504
well learn from you mistake and dont pass judgement on the 595 till you put some more time in them. How many hours did you put on the sr225? Its kinda strange that you would think that the sr225 is brighter, but hey everyone's hearing is different. And if you like the sr60 better then you just save yourself some money.

I'm liking the 595 sound as I listen to it more and more. I will give it more time to see how much the sound improves. It just may be that my expectations can't be realized with $200 cans.

As for "brightness," I may be guilty of misusing the term as I'm fairly new to headphones. What I'm referring to is the treble. I found the high end to be excessive.

Don't get me wrong... overall, I feel the SR225 is better than the SR60. I just couldn't handle the harsh treble which everyone has said improves with burn-in. I probably put in about 20-30 hours with the SR225 (couple of hours a day for 2, 3, weeks).

I was panicking a bit because Todd's 30 days return period was coming up quickly and I had to make a final call on the cans. I figured if I want them again, I could buy them again later (maybe the price won't be as good but that's a risk I was willing to take). Lesson learned is to burn in the cans right away and maximize listening time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back