Returned my iPod Nano 3G !
Nov 27, 2007 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

alpha10

100+ Head-Fier
It was my first iPod, I thought finally made the step to buy an iPod, but what a dissappointment, while the navigation and the size is fantastic, it lacks what´s most important for me: Sound quality ! My old iRiver iFP999 sounds better in all respects using the same files, same headphones, same volume. It just seem that the Nano was made from cheaper components for audio, it didn´t play very loud either, and with music with a lot of bass, it completely gave up and gave the bass a muddy terrible bass, the iRiver don´t have this problem, so I returned the iPod, so now what ?

I´ve seen the iRiver Clix 2, but haven´t heard it yet.
I´ve seen and hear the newest Sony (don´t remember the modelname, but that did sound very good).
Should I check out the other iPod ? The touch looks fantastic, but what about the sound ? If it sounds like a Nano, I´m not buying it, no matter how cool the navigation is.

Well, that´s all for now. Thanks

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 25
I bought my daughter a Nano and I ran it into my pretty decent stereo rig and I was pretty appalled by the sound quality. Compared to my 2nd gen iPod (which sound pretty decent through my stereo) it sounded close to awful. I agree with your decision to return it.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 25
The first gen 30GB Zune. It has very good audio quality, and with the new firmware and software for $100, its a real steal.

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 25
My previous mp3 players have been Creative Jukebox3, Creative Zen:M and the Sony NWZ-816. I've been using Shure E4c's for the past 3 years.

I liked the look of the Ipod Nano 3G so decided to buy my first Apple product.

I must admit I do like the style, presentation and facilities of the Nano. However with the stock earbuds I found the SQ almost unlistenable, with the E4c's it's now listenable but so very average.

The Sony is definately better than the Nano. It's more vibrant and has a greater sense of realism.

I didn't know what to do?
Anyhow I decided to buy some Ultimate Ears 10 Triple.fi's.

Within seconds I was impressed. The music has come alive and is now busy and exciting. The Nano has rolled off frequency extremes i.e. The deep bass and high trebles are missing.

However the UE10's specializes on frequency extremes, especially the treble. You can hear the shimmer and separation from cymbals etc. You also notice instruments which were hardly noticable with the E4c's.

Another bonus is the triple.fi's also play louder than the E4c's. I'm very pleased and suprised that the IEM can transform what I thought was an ordinary Ipod Nano 3G.

I use the largest silicone tips and easily get a food seal. I feel like I'm inside the music stood next to the artists. With the E4c's I felt like a was stood at the back of the room. The sound was nice, relaxing but kind of boring.

The UE10 make the Nano exciting but with extended listening maybe these IEM's might end up being tiring. I don't know yet, only had the triple.fi for 2 days, but very happy. RECOMMENDED.

Feb 23, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 25
I must say that the nano 3G and a pair of ER4P does not sound too bad if the music is lossless; however, I would not spend $199 for 8GB specially since other options at same pricing and better sound quality exist on the market right now.

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 25
I just got a 3g 8gb nano, sounds fine to me. Im listening to Click Clack in lossless on my super .fi 5 pro's, possibly the most bass-heavy music I've ever heard, and there is not a hint of muddyness. It could always improve with an amp, but imo it sounds fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back