Returned my 225i's, looking at HD595. Advice Plz
Mar 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

boclcown

100+ Head-Fier
I own an ultrasone hfi780, audio-technica a700, and <i>owned</i> grado 225i's. I liked the Grados quite a bit more than my other headphones, specifically for acoustic music. The problem, though, was that when I listened to my friend's HD595's, I instantly realized that the Grados weren't offering me everything I wanted in an open headphone. The HD 595's sounded awesome (although lacking in bass, but I have the ultrasones for that).

I can buy the 595's with the money I have from returning the grados, but I wanted to check with head-fi before I make the purchase. I definitely want open headphones. I'm looking more for detail and refinement than for power or warmth. That is, I'm looking for the Senn sound.

Whenever I read about the 595's, though, it seems like people talk down on them somewhat. Any thoughts?

Also, I would like to have an amp, but no incentive to buy one because I don't think my 780's would benefit much from being amped, and I only have enough $$ for a pair of phones OR an amp, not both.

I can afford the 600's, but I don't want to regret not having an amp. Would the 595's trump unamped 600's?

Thanks guys

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 3
595s need amping too. You should have a look at 555s- they do much better without an amp and are not that much different

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 3
buy HD555's instead.
Then mod them to be close to 595's.
Spend the money saved on whatever you want
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back