Returned MS-1's, now back at square one again!
Nov 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

emdyeks

Head-Fier
There are the reasons why I decided to return them.

1. Nowhere near enough bass (I like to feel my bass in my ears)
2. Way too bright for me (hurt my ears at loud volume, sounded too harsh and shrill to me
3. Didn't like the headphones sitting on my ears, I think over the ear ones would be better for me.

I should have listened to you guys, you said it would not be good for rap, and you were absolutely right. I listen to hip hop and trance, that's basically all I listen to. My budget is 150, and I will be using these only w/ an iPod, and I do not want to get an amp, so it must be 32 ohms I guess? Is the RP 21 my best bet? I want a ton of clean bass, but I don't want it to drown out everything else. I like crisp smooth highs, but not bright/harsh highs. Thanks guys, hopefully I can get the right ones this time!

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 25
I haven't read your other thread, so I apologize if someone already recommended these. But the Sony MDR-V6s might be a possible choice. They certainly have enough bass and are less bright/shrill than the MS-1s. You shouldn't have any problems driving them out of your iPod either.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read your other thread, so I apologize if someone already recommended these. But the Sony MDR-V6s might be a possible choice. They certainly have enough bass and are less bright/shrill than the MS-1s. You shouldn't have any problems driving them out of your iPod either.

Thanks, i'll check those out. I actually had the same problem w/ shrill harsh highs in my car system. I originally had components that the highs were way too harsh and it hurt my ears to make the music loud, so I switched to ones w/ a more mellow tweeter, and it's so much easier on my ears and still sounds crisp and smooth. I do love highs though, i just like them mellow and not harsh, which i guess means "bright"?

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 25
do closed cans generally have more bass then open ones? I don't care about isolation/sound leakage, just want a good pair of phones w/ BIG clean bass, and smooth but mellow highs.

Those Beyer DT770 seem really nice but I really cannot go 100 dollars over my budget.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 25
I've heard the V6's, and unless my memory is very poor, they are not very bassy at all. They also sounded pretty underdriven out of my iPod, which I'm sure contributed to the lack of bass. I'd say the RP-21 is a solid bet, or maybe something Audio-Technica.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the V6's, and unless my memory is very poor, they are not very bassy at all. They also sounded pretty underdriven out of my iPod, which I'm sure contributed to the lack of bass. I'd say the RP-21 is a solid bet, or maybe something Audio-Technica.

yea those are definately out then. I am all about bass usually, as well as sound quality, but I thought I didn't need bass in my headphones but boy was I wrong! Clean bass is first priority now, and second is not harsh/shrill sounding highs. I loved the crisp smooth sound the MS-1's had at low volumes, but when i turned it up it hurt my ears.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 25
Glad to see you were able to return them. What was the person who told you that MS1s would be good for rap smoking?

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see you were able to return them. What was the person who told you that MS1s would be good for rap smoking?

No, no one here said they would be good for rap. People said they would NOT be good for rap and trance, but I was too stubborn b/c I read a lot of reviews saying they were great for any genre. I figured people here have higher standards then me because they are serious audiophiles, but even as an average consumer, I noticed that these were not good at all for hip hop or bass heavy trance, they had no more bass then my older sony wrap around headphones (maybe a tiny bit more, but not enough to even justify switching headphones)

But the sweet spot with these I could tell was w/ female vocal trance, that sounded great. But rap did not sound good, and it was not enjoyable at high volumes because it hurt my ears, so I guess I need a pair now that isn't bright. I do listen to a lot of trance so I need something with smooth highs, but they can't be bright, because I guess for me, bright hurts my ears.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 25
The Sony V6s NOT bassy? Your memory is poor man
wink.gif
I have a pair -- they are decent headphones, and especially comfy after replacing the earpads with Beyers. There may be something better out there for the price though -- I'm really not sure.

You should be able to try out the V6s locally if you live near a Guitar Center or any pro audio shop. These headphones are often used in studios / live mixing. I think they are rather boring, but YMMV.

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 25
What about the RP-22x? Also, is it possible to get a set that will be good for both hip hop and trance? Most of my hip hop is underground hip hop, which means lots of complex stuff besides just bass, hence why I like the smooth highs too

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 25
I think a set good for trance it will also be good for hip hop. Trance need deep, hard hitting bass, great mids and energetic but not fatiguing highs. Apply that to hip hop and it will sound great too. I haven't heard the RP-xx but I've heard they have very deep bass. Just make sure your iPod can drive them well enough or it'll be for nothing.

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a set good for trance it will also be good for hip hop. Trance need deep, hard hitting bass, great mids and energetic but not fatiguing highs. Apply that to hip hop and it will sound great too. I haven't heard the RP-xx but I've heard they have very deep bass. Just make sure your iPod can drive them well enough or it'll be for nothing.

yea that's basically exactly what I was looking for, I HATE fatiguing highs. The RP-22x is 32 ohms, as was the MS-1. The MS-1 got loud as hell on my iPod, so I assume this means that the RP-22x will be powered alright by the iPod as well?

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 25
I've only ever heard headphones (MS1) through a portable cd player, and although the volume went high, the bass wasn't that good quality. You might be asking a bit too much of an iPod to give you lots of high quality bass from full sized headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back