Returned DT880, now what?
Jul 28, 2005 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

deanchat

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I have Senn 580's and Grado SR-60's. After getting my SR-71 I wanted to get something new, with more "life" than the 580's but more accurate and with better imaging than the SR-60's. I bought the Beyer DT880, broke them in for 100 hours and listened. Soundstage and imaging were great. Bass was tight and deep (better than the 580 in my opinion). BUT, they were a bit bright and had little in the way of dynamics ("slam"). They sounded spacious but too "blah" for me, so I returned them after a few weeks of hoping I would get used to them.

Where do I go now? Allessandro MS-2?

I listen to classic rock, "classic alternative" (the early MTV days), and some jazz. My source is either a docked iPod or my home rig's SACD player and Yamaha CDR-HD1300 (CD/hard disk combo thingee). I use the SR-71 with both.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
-Dean

Jul 29, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 12
what kind of music do you listen to?

Jul 29, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite
what kind of music do you listen to?

Quote:

I listen to classic rock, "classic alternative" (the early MTV days), and some jazz.

I say you're on the money with the MS2s or even RS-2s.. I won't recommend the SA5ks without listening to them, so you'll have to wait for that.

Edit: I should have made this clearer:

I say go with the MS2s or even RS-2s. I will have the sony SA-5000s soon, and think these may be a good choice, but I won't recommend them until I have them and officially give them my seal of approval. Which will be before too long.
3000smile.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 12
Hmm I can wholeheartedly recommend the hd-595's by sennheiser. They have a beautiful sound and they're not too expensive either, you can get em refurbed on ecost for $134. They really bring out the details on good and bad recordings and they are really neutral cans. The bass is a little lacking with low volumes though, but if you are not afraid to listen at moderate to high volumes............ they sound amazing as this brings out more bass!!!

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 12
I agree with deanchat's assessment of the DT880, but those are the reasons why I like them.

I often use the DT880 for a change of pace after listening to the Grado RS-1.

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 12
I like Jazper's recomendations. I think the RS-2s will give you a bit more than the MS-2s in terms of slam, but the MS-2s might be a bit more detailed and neutral.

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by deanchat
Greetings,

I have Senn 580's and Grado SR-60's. After getting my SR-71 I wanted to get something new, with more "life" than the 580's but more accurate and with better imaging than the SR-60's. I bought the Beyer DT880, broke them in for 100 hours and listened. Soundstage and imaging were great. Bass was tight and deep (better than the 580 in my opinion). BUT, they were a bit bright and had little in the way of dynamics ("slam"). They sounded spacious but too "blah" for me, so I returned them after a few weeks of hoping I would get used to them.

Where do I go now? Allessandro MS-2?

I listen to classic rock, "classic alternative" (the early MTV days), and some jazz. My source is either a docked iPod or my home rig's SACD player and Yamaha CDR-HD1300 (CD/hard disk combo thingee). I use the SR-71 with both.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
-Dean

In your place I would upgrade to the HD650. (they say it goes wonderfully with the SR71 too) (just in case, don't be mistaken about the balance of the HD650, it's very fine as it is to my ears, not bassy nor trebly)

Alternatively, the HD595 is great & beautiful sounding. There are many that like it better than the HD580.

Jul 29, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Just to warn you, though, it can be a fatiguing headphone.
-Matt

Are the MS-2 more or less fatiguing than the SR-60s? I realize these two phones are in different classes price-wise, but I am interested in whether the fatigue gets better or worse as one goes up the Grado/Alessandro product line.

Thanks!
Dean

Jul 29, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
In your place I would upgrade to the HD650. (they say it goes wonderfully with the SR71 too) (just in case, don't be mistaken about the balance of the HD650, it's very fine as it is to my ears, not bassy nor trebly)

Alternatively, the HD595 is great & beautiful sounding. There are many that like it better than the HD580.

When I bought the DT880s I thought about the Senn 595s (I could not audition either), so they have been on the "radar screen". How much more forward are they than the 580/6xx ?

Regarding the 650s, are we talking about a big difference from the 580s or an incremental one?

Thanks!
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back