Return Ultrasone HFI-580 for Sony MDR-V6 + Amp?
May 8, 2012 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mKat

New Head-Fier
I set out to find an affordable (strictly under $200) set of closed headphones that had fun, sparkly highs, at least respectable bass response, and were somewhat portable and efficient. Got my 580s about a week ago. I'm generally happy with them. Bass response is beyond expectation and the sound is, overall, very fun and engaging. I have had them about a week now and have had them going night and day to keep the break-in going. All of.the reviews are bang on regarding the following points:

-burn in makes a significant improvement to the sound.
-sibilance is a issue, especially during vocal listening.
-mids are totally recessed.

Somewhat unexpectedly, I'm wanting to use them for some vocal tracking and they don't seem to be very good for it. I don't know, vocals just seem so vacant with these. I'm considering sending them back for some V6's. I know that the V6/7506 is somewhat of a controversial choice for monitor work but for vocal tracking specifically it seems to be quite well liked. I'll allocate $70-90 for a portable amp since they need more power than the 580s. My thinking here is that they'll give me that sparkle I'm looking for under casual listening conditions and provide me with somewhat more vocal presence for monitoring.

Any feedback?

May 8, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 4
The Shure SRH 440 are at least as good as the V6 and don't need to be amped.  You might want to buy some 840 ear pads though.

Also check the Deals thread or her for the 7506 for $89 shipped:

http://www.adorama.com/SOMDR7506.html

May 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
The Shure SRH 440 are at least as good as the V6 and don't need to be amped.  You might want to buy some 840 ear pads though. 

Thanks for the quick response and the intel on the 7506 deal.

Can I expect SRH-440-ish bass from the Sony twins (V6/7506)? Because I almost bought the 440's before ordering these Ultrasones. Even unamped the 440s sounded lovely at the top end. I'm not a bass head by any means but the 440's just didnt have enough of it. They were missing huge sections of my Michael Jackson tracks which happened to be all that I had with me on the day I demo'd them. 'Good thing too because on something else they may have seduced me into buying.

I need a little more life down at the lower frequencies I'm afraid.

I suppose what I'm looking for with this thread is to put my thinking in check. If I like the general sound of the 580's but am willing to sacrifice some bass for improved mid-high's is this a smart move?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back