Return the AD900... Get the Q701?
Jan 13, 2012 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nsx280ps

100+ Head-Fier
So i finally pulled the trigger on the Audio Technica AD900 and got them early this week.  So far they have about 100 hours of burn in.  They have significantly improved, noticeably less brittle sounding, while the bass has more punch compared to out of the box.  I also played around with the fitment and found that they do best when the back of my ears are resting on the back of the pads slightly.  

They do have a massive sound stage, very fast, with pretty good detail and sweet sounding.

However, here comes the downsides.  The bass still leaves me wanting just a tad more, maybe just a bit more rumble would be great.  I always end up turning up the volume a little bit more and end up getting fatigued more quickly.  EQ helps a little, but not by that much.  They are also somewhat bright sounding, while not very harsh, I found the sound to be very metallic and somewhat grainy/a bit sandy in in the trebles.  The sound also seems a slight bit artificial to my ears.

Now Im still well within the time range to return these, since I got them from amazon.  Should I consider doing so to get the Q701?  They would appear more balanced, and the headroom graph shows that they have a bit more bass, which would be nice but Im not looking for a bass head can.  My biggest issue would be the metallic sound, however.  I will be getting the Fiio E17 as soon as they come out regardless, right now Im just using my AV receiver until then.

Thanks

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 5
What sources do you plug your headphones into?
AKGs need a little more juice to run compared to the ATH-AD900s.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
So i finally pulled the trigger on the Audio Technica AD900 and got them early this week.  So far they have about 100 hours of burn in.  They have significantly improved, noticeably less brittle sounding, while the bass has more punch compared to out of the box.  I also played around with the fitment and found that they do best when the back of my ears are resting on the back of the pads slightly.  

They do have a massive sound stage, very fast, with pretty good detail and sweet sounding.

However, here comes the downsides.  The bass still leaves me wanting just a tad more, maybe just a bit more rumble would be great.  I always end up turning up the volume a little bit more and end up getting fatigued more quickly.  EQ helps a little, but not by that much.  They are also somewhat bright sounding, while not very harsh, I found the sound to be very metallic and somewhat grainy/a bit sandy in in the trebles.  The sound also seems a slight bit artificial to my ears.

Now Im still well within the time range to return these, since I got them from amazon.  Should I consider doing so to get the Q701?  They would appear more balanced, and the headroom graph shows that they have a bit more bass, which would be nice but Im not looking for a bass head can.  My biggest issue would be the metallic sound, however.  I will be getting the Fiio E17 as soon as they come out regardless, right now Im just using my AV receiver until then.

Thanks

Which AV receiver are you using?

The metallic, bright sound could be caused by the amplifier in the receiver.
It could also be causing the lack of "oomph" in the bass, though you're not going to be getting
"rumble" out of either the AT's or the 701's in any event.

If you're looking for more bass, and it seems that you are, simply swapping out the AT's for the 701's
is not your answer.  Especially, as PurpleAngel noted above, the 701's are quite amp-dependent.

Look, if the AT's aren't doing it for you with your present setup, and you're not going to get a headphone
amp until the 17 is released, maybe it would be best for you to return the headphones.  It's a tough call,
I really don't know your situation.  But if I buy headphones that don't sound good to me, I don't keep them.
They either get returned or sold.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 5
You're definitely not going to like the Q701 if you don't like the lack of bass on the AD900.  Q701 will have even less bass.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 5
I will be getting the Fiio E17 as soon as it is available.... However, right now Im jut using my Onkyo SR-606 AV amp.... I tried to use it out of my Ipod though, volume is plenty loud, but pretty much still the same sound signature.

Since Im on a budget, the Fiio E17 would be most I could afford for now, it seems a few also are okay with the E7/E9 combo powering the Q701.  Im not really looking for bass heavy.  Ive searched and searched all night and found contradictory information, but some had indicated that they sold the AD900 and found the Q701 better with just the small bit more bass which is what Im seeking.  Also the headroom graph seems to support this?? 

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=3061&graphID[1]=2931&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Im not really sure though.  Anyone who owned both, or had both care to chime in as well?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back