Return Sennheiser pc 350 or mod them...?
Sep 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gurkburk92

New Head-Fier
I bought the Sennheiser pc 350 like three days ago. They are comfy and the sound overall is nice, but the bass is incredibly bad.

The package Sennheiser put this thing in makes me not want to return it.. This has got to be one of the most complicated thing to open, seriously..

Is modding them really that good as i've read?

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 7
  I bought the Sennheiser PC350 like three days ago. They are comfy and the sound overall is nice, but the bass is incredibly bad.
The package Sennheiser put this thing in makes me not want to return it.. This has got to be one of the most complicated thing to open, seriously..
Is modding them really that good as I've read?

By "bad" bass do you mean the bass is not very loud or the bass is bloated and lacks detail?
What source(s) do you plug the Senn PC350 into?
Which PC350 mod are you referring to?

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 7
  By "bad" bass do you mean the bass is not very loud or the bass is bloated and lacks detail?
What source(s) do you plug the Senn PC350 into?
Which PC350 mod are you referring to?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/406187/modding-the-sennheiser-pc350-headset This mod here.

And my bass is pretty non-existant. The sound otherwise is pretty good, but there is literally no bass. Tested yesterday with a movie.

And my headset is connected into the motherboard soundcard. Haven't bought a PCI-E soundcard yet. But will that do that much difference ?

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 7
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/406187/modding-the-sennheiser-pc350-headset This mod here.

And my bass is pretty non-existant. The sound otherwise is pretty good, but there is literally no bass. Tested yesterday with a movie.
And my headset is connected into the motherboard sound card. Haven't bought a PCI-E sound card yet. But will that do that much difference ?

Adding a sound card should improve over all audio quality, not really make the bass any louder.
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27.99, is a cheap way of trying to improve audio quality.
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (PCI-E) sound card, $80, comes with a better DAC then the Xonar DG.
The older and lower priced the motherboard is, the better chance the sound card will make a noticeable improvement.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 7
  Adding a sound card should improve over all audio quality, not really make the bass any louder.
The Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27.99, is a cheap way of trying to improve audio quality.
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (PCI-E) sound card, $80, comes with a better DAC then the Xonar DG.
The older and lower priced the motherboard is, the better chance the sound card will make a noticeable improvement.

The motherboard is pretty much brand new. It's a ASUS Maximus VI Hero.

But what about the mod? Think it will do me any good, or should i just turn the headset in for a different pair?

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 7
  The motherboard is pretty much brand new. It's a ASUS Maximus VI Hero.
But what about the mod? Think it will do me any good, or should i just turn the headset in for a different pair?

Personally, I would return the PC350 and buy a used HD558, currently a used HD558 sells for around $112 to $125, on eBay or Amazon, new is $146.
I believe the PC350 uses the older driver from the HD555/595 series and the HD558 uses the newer driver that is also used in the newer HD598 & PC360.

The HD558s are not bassy headphones, But to me the HD558 has enough bass to decently do the job.
It's optional to remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, removing the tape should improve mids and treble.

I'm assuming your main need for the headphones is for gaming.
Get the Sound Blaster Z sound card, retail box with microphone, $100
The Z card comes with the CS4398 DAC chip, which should be at least a step above in audio quality, over the motherboard's built in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back