Retro-tech nostalgia: is there such a thing as a DVD/MP3 player?
Mar 9, 2016 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Fallingwater

100+ Head-Fier
While digging in some old boxes I found my old CD/MP3 player, from way back before I bought my first serious DAP (a Creative Zen USB2 that changed my life). It’s a Samsung MCD-SM55. For the sake of nostalgia I burned a couple of CDRWs and I’ve set it up with a couple of amplified speakers that I normally use in my kitchen with my phone.

Now, this thing is ancient history and no reason other than nostalgia could prompt anyone to make serious use of it, but it did spawn a question in my mind.

CDs are nice and all, but 700MB aren’t a lot, and weren’t a lot even back when carrying around one's entire library started becoming a thing. And hard drive players were really expensive, and back then it was unthinkable to use flash memory for mass storage.

The obvious idea would be to use DVDs, but I can’t remember anyone doing it. There were a few kinda-portable (as in, fit more for bags than pockets) players meant for video playback that would play MP3s on DVDs, usually with a tremendously impractical interface (Tags? Directory navigation? Shock protection? What are those?); however, nobody I can think of decided to make the equivalent of the CD player I have in front of me, but with a DVD drive’s mechanicals inside.

I’m sure someone somewhere in the world must have had this idea and brought it to market, though; far more outlandish devices have been sold, after all.

Do you know of any such player? Or perhaps an actually-portable video DVD player that also happened to have a decent interface for going through 4 and a half gigs’ worth of MP3s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back