Retiring Westone UM3x
Jun 8, 2016 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rtimmel

New Head-Fier
I've had a faithful pair of UM3x' s I've used for the last 6 years.  They are finally starting to give out.  I have drifted away from the iem market and was wondering if there were comparable iems in in the $400-$500 range (maybe a bit more for something outstanding).  I wouldn't mind something a bit livelier, but I don't want to drift too far away from the um3x general sound (they have been faithful companions for quite a while).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Greetings.

Besides the obvious recommendations of other iem's in the Westone line, give a pair of Audiofly AF180 a listen. They are designed for musicians much like the UM3x, but I feel they are smoother, have less BA bite, and have great bass.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiofly-af180-ear-monitor-reviewed#VM9CwQUOwSlIMiV5.97

Good luck.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Oops, livelier may mean more treble presence? The AF180 has a similar treble to the UM3x. No sibilance.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 5
The Audiofly 180's look really intersting and my be exactly where I want to end up.  Any idea if they have a similar nozzle to  Westones?  I really like their Star tips.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 5
  The Audiofly 180's look really intersting and my be exactly where I want to end up.  Any idea if they have a similar nozzle to  Westones?  I really like their Star tips.

I use Westone Star Tips Green on my AF180.  I think you will like them.  If you live in the US, World Wide Stereo and Crutchfield have them and offer great return policies.

Happy auditioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back