Retired Couple Buy Farm In Portugal For Half It's Value, Then Cut The Welds On The Barn & Find $70m Of Vintage Cars!
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Baines93

Headphoneus Supremus
My Dad emailed me this.

Basically a retired couple buy a house in portugal from the government as the previous owners had no heirs. No one could be bothered to spend money cutting the old barn's welds too see what was inside, and no one bought it, so they got the place for half its value, cut open the welds, opened the barn and found $70m of vintage cars.

I would spend even 20 years cleaning them all up and restoring a few of the best. By then they would be worth more, and cleaned and some restored would increase the value, and auction most, keep my favourites and have a nice small collection, then make enough money auctioning them to pay for the place, which i originally bought at half its value, the restoration of the place, and get a nice collection of cars, and a huge amount of retirement money to spend on all things nice, invest, and live lavishly. Not bad for 20 years of (fun, interesting [imo as a car lover]) work!

I can't attach it, exceeds file size limit. Here it is on rapidshare: RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

What would you do? Explain like i did in a reply if you want.

Matt

Jun 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah I remember this happening a LONG time ago.

Jun 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 9
It's fake but I still love the pictures of the cars.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Seen this before but never really looked through all the pictures. Interesting, there's a Dutch plate on the Cooper S. (edit; nevermind, more cars have that style of plate. Must be Portugese plates, but they are exactly the same as the old Dutch ones)

How can someone who owns all these cars just weld the doors shut and then not open them again for so many years?

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So they are found by someone when they are older, rarer and worth more when he has passed away and someone buys the place and finds them?

...Did you read the snopes.com link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back