Rethinking Portable Headphones
Feb 19, 2005 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I've been looking for the best portable headphone for a while now. I've been through quite a few but everything seems to be a compromise. I recently sold the D66, KSC-35, PortaPros and PX200. None of these did it for me.

I now have the HD 25-1 and E2C. My thinking now is that these two headphones are a bit too similar and I don't need both. But really, do I need either? I like the isolation of the E2C, but I'm getting tired of the lack of detail. While I think the sound quality of the HD 25 is a bit better, the sound is very compressed and there's something unnatural about it to me.

My thinking now is to get a pair of ATH-E series clip ons and a different set of canal phones. This would cover me so I would have good quality open phones plus isolating phones for when I need to block out noise (planes, trains, etc.).

So what in ear phone would you recommend? My budget has to stay around $150. That leaves, ER6, ER6i, E3, anything else? I'd like to get a touch more detail out of my IEM.

Feb 19, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 13
I don't find detail to be to be a particularly strong point of the ER-6i. Who knows if I'm actually getting a good seal, though (I'm pretty sure I am, but I have no real point of reference for that). Haven't tried Shure's stuff, unfortunately.

Finding a closed can that you really like the sound of and isolates well can be a very difficult task, unfortunately.

Feb 19, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 13
I have had two sets of the Shure E3 units and like them very much. I think they are the best bang for your budget situation. The isolation is great. You receive several different types of eartips of assorted sizes with your purchase. You will have to try and see which works best for your own ear's shape and characteristics.

The E3c can be found for under $115 at sites that advertise on this website.

Shure backs their products with a 2 year "no questions ask" warranty. Hard to find that type of backing these days.

The Shure units can also have a custom ear piece made, if you want to spend some additional money later. Should your interests grow in the years to come, you can always sell the E3's and apply the money towards your next step in quality in the future.

Enjoy reading the recommendations by lindrome in the full review section for headphones. The E3 and E5 use the same eartips, so his observations on fit for the E5 might be of help to you.

Most of all, enjoy whatever you have and learn to accept living within your budget for the time being. You'll be happy, knowing you made the best decision for the present situation.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 13
If I went that way I would get ER-4S. I have three portable amps right now. PortaCorda II, SuperMacro and XP-7. However, I have a fear that the ER-4s are hyper detailed and lack bass impact. I just want a touch more detail than the E2, not a boatload more.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 13
Hi,

I have er-6's (not the 6i's) and I think that the detail is really good. It took me a while to get used to sticking them in my ears correctly. Once seated in there they are really excellent in terms of detail. If there is bass on the recording or DVD then they will really surprise you in the bass department. I think that for what they are (noise canceling and portability) you can't do much better.

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 13
EdipisReks, here in Australia the difference between the ER-6i and the ER-4P is like $219 for the ER-6i and $449 for the ER-4P. In my opinion this is a huge difference, and may not really justify the increase in overall quality/performance.

The E3c and the ER6i don't stand up to the ER4P, they never will, neither will the best Sennheiser cans I've used - the HD650s. The ER4Ps beat the HD650s. They don't have the visceral bass slam of the HD650s but the clarity and detail of the bass and the extension is IMHO superior.

For a point of reference, This morning I was at a friend's place. The ER6i actually have better bass than either of the E3cs or the E2cs, at least out of my friend's portable Xin amplifier. The E2c had horrible bass through the Xin, it sounded like a weak subwoofer covered in a big cotton doona, absolutely no detail to speak of, just a boring hum. The E3c was considerably better than the E2c, but still didn't have quite the detail of the ER6i, but where it clearly lost to the ER6i was the complete lack of balance. The midrange is forced on the E3c, but on the ER6i the midrange is pretty much flawless.

The ER4P chews them up and spits them all out.

The ER6i is about as close as you're going to get to the ER4P, close, but still so far away
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Before you give up on HD25-1, try recabling. Right now I've got a HD-580 cable on them, which is a big improvement all around, excepting as you say, HD25-1 sound strangely distant ("recessed" is hardly the word). I've got a Blue Dragon cable on order. When it's burned in I'll post whether it brings the presentation any forward.

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 13
You can get custom sleeve for most IEM's.

Ask you local audiologist.
etysmile.gif

4992940_60a8dca380_m.jpg

4992941_47d40e1e0f_m.jpg

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 13
I thought about recabling the HD 25. Actually, what I wanted to get was the cable for the HD 25-13, which is OFC. But then I was thinking I was trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Mar 13, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #13 of 13
Update: I just got a Headphile BlackSilver replacement cable for the HD 25 and it is much better. There is more detail and the presentation is much more natural. There's at least the hint of a soundstage now. I'm wondering though if there's just too much bass pumping through these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back