Retermination of cable
Jun 23, 2022 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

headydad

New Head-Fier
How easy is it to put a new 3.5 jack on a cable? I just got one from penon that is not working but I dont want to wait 2 months to get it back with the long shipping these days. Thanks

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 3
It depends on how handy you are doing jobs like this. You’d have to cut the dodgy connector off, and carefully strip back the wires. Then it’s a matter of soldering the wires to the terminals on the new connector.

You might also need a bit of heat shrink, depending on the new connector.

if you already have the equipment, then I would give it a go. A lot of stuff these days just isn‘t that well crafted, so you could end up with a better result than getting a replacement from the manufacturer.

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 3
It depends on how handy you are doing jobs like this. You’d have to cut the dodgy connector off, and carefully strip back the wires. Then it’s a matter of soldering the wires to the terminals on the new connector.

You might also need a bit of heat shrink, depending on the new connector.

if you already have the equipment, then I would give it a go. A lot of stuff these days just isn‘t that well crafted, so you could end up with a better result than getting a replacement from the manufacturer.
I would add, unless you have a multimeter and are comfortable using it, it can help to cut off a little of the cable with the plug. That way, if you get lucky, the wires will have unique colors and you can solder them to the new plug in the right positions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back