Reterminate MDRV6 Cable
Sep 29, 2007 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

freethegeek

New Head-Fier
I've searched around for this but can't seem to find the magic formula....

The wire appears to be an enamel coated lititz.

How does one clean or solder that cable so that one can reterminate a mini pin or 1/4" connector?

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 6
Some people hold it in a flame (say, from a lighter).

I prefer to liberally apply flux and burn off the enamel with my soldering iron.

It's a messy job but it works.

Theoretically if you had lacquer thinner or methyl-ethyl ketone, you could just clean off the enamel, but burning it off does less nerve damage than exposing yourself to organic solvents capable of demyelinating your nerve endings and draining the fat out of your skin cells. Which really itches, lemme tell ya.

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 6
i've tried the buring thing.. it seems to just destroy the wire. Lacqer thinner didn't seem to work either...

I'll have to try some flux... I've gotten a new soldering rig since i tried this a few years ago.

Thanx for the reply...

BTW the MEK is stuff is a little freaky... reminds me of the stupid stuff we used to do in chem labs in college... like washing our hands with benzene or toluene when we got diffusion pump oil on them.. lucky i have a colon left at this point...

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 6
I've done the flux thing many times. Sometimes I try to tin the wire at the same time. Generally, this results in a well tinned wire with a lump of carbonized lacquer on one side that has to be scraped off, but it comes off pretty easily.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~snip~
draining the fat out of your skin cells. ~snip~

M.E.K.!! The Weightloss Secret of Hollywood Celebrities!!!

But seriously...I been thinking of recabling my V6's or 7506's with Mini-Starquad. So I am interested with how this is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back