retail stores for audiophile headphones?
Jun 8, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 15
got the same problem in the uk. i think that although some stores carry it, most will only have it online, or in a few stores. so just check the most common ones online to see if they have them, and visit them to see.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 15
i believe audiocubes is located in NY somewhere

edit: 69 E. 8th Street, New York City, NY 10003

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 15
J&R

headphones_v1_m56577569833267227.jpg

They have this image when you click the headphone section in their online storefront. You can spot a number of decent cans in that photo.

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 15
AudioCubes (aka AC Gears) doesn't have many headphones in the store. Some Audio Technicas (Ax00, ADx00, and others), lower-end Grado..

You can check out Guitar Center.
B&H has lots of headphones online, but I'm not sure if they have them in store.

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 15
I know Tweeters sells some of the Senn HD series in their stores. Tweeters are present in NJ PA so I am sure they exist in NY.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaLyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B&H has lots of headphones online, but I'm not sure if they have them in store.

B&H has almost no headphones on display in there store. As opposed to J&R which has several good phones on display in theirs.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J&R

headphones_v1_m56577569833267227.jpg

They have this image when you click the headphone section in their online storefront. You can spot a number of decent cans in that photo.

His headphone placement is a little off.
biggrin.gif

I have no clue about anything up in New York, but down here in Florida, Let There Be Sound just opened.

I haven't gone yet but I think they carry a whole assortment of audiophile goodies, speakers and headphones.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 15
I feel as if a list of stores for each state would help tremendously...especially as a sticky. Maybe somehow make a comprehensive list that people can add to - people mention them in replies, and the original post is modified each time?

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xFih2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel as if a list of stores for each state would help tremendously...especially as a sticky. Maybe somehow make a comprehensive list that people can add to - people mention them in replies, and the original post is modified each time?

Great idea.

Do any stores carry Ultrasones? I want to hear their "different" sound for myself. I live in Philly, by the way.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Guitar Center is my best bet so far. There is one nearby too.

Guitar Centers (at least here in Michigan) do carry a few high(ish) end models, including some decent Sennheisers and Beyer Dynamics. The best I recall seeing locally was probably the DT-770 from Beyer.

However, they do seem a tad weird about returns on headphones, even though there return policy does rule out "in-ear" phones, you really should be able to return some big over-ear isolating cans, IMO. What's the health issue there? Weird.

Oh, and they did not have any of them out for demo purposes...which would have helped immensely.

Anyway, I even had one salesman have an issue with me wanting to take a pair of Senns out of the box (just a plain cardboard box, easy opening, no damage to the packaging, etc), to check out the headband cushioning...just to see it...not wear it....and he wouldn't let me.....wild!

Anyway, they do carry some decent models, but it seems, at least locally here, that you better know what you want before you go in there...hehe.

Now, don't get me wrong, Guitar Center does fine on returns on most products, but they are sticky on others....microphones, too...a biggie with them...they state health reasons...hhmnn....ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back