Resurrect and Bluetooth your CALS & Denon's AH-D1001 MOD
Jan 15, 2016 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ezzony

100+ Head-Fier
Synopsis: Take a faulty pair of Creative Aurvana Live! or Denon AH-D1001 headphones with working drivers and place the drivers in a pair of of Bluetooth headphones. 

Why? The fostex drivers in these cans are quite good but the materials in the headbands are not durable and often break after some use. It's almost impossible to find a replacement headband and it would be a shame to throw the drivers away. Plus it's pretty cool to have a pair of Bluetooth CAL'S !

What  you need:

Creative Aurvana LIve  or Denon AH-D1001 Drivers:
Ausdom M06 bluetooth headphones ( approx $30 dollars )
Soldering Iron
Precision Screwdrivers
Cutting tool.

Difficulty Level: Easy - as long as you can solder. 

Why Audsom M06 headphones? 

They are quite cheep and get great reviews for their bluetooth range and battery discharge longevity - rated 20 hours. Plenty reviews available on youtube and elsewhere. I got mine for 22 Euro's including delivery from Hong Kong to Ireland. Quite the bargain in it's own right. I would guess they are more durable than my old Denon's and are very easy to disassemble.

Step 1 - Remove the Foxtex driver from your CAL's. There are disassembly pics of the Denon headphone available here. Snip off the connected wires. To remove the driver from the housing plate just put your thumbs onto the front grille and push them out. They popped out for me quite easily.

Step 2 - Disassemble and remove the drivers in the M06. Pull off the ear pad with your thumb as you did with the CAL ! . Unscrew the plate to reveal the driver. You need to prise the driver out using a thin instrument. I used a box cutting too. It's glued in but is fairly easy to detach. A cutting tool would be handy also to slice off the sticky glue when you begin to prise it out. Snip off the wires or de-solder them making sure not to loose any length off the wire as it's quite short. 

Step 3. This part is possibly optional I don't know. The fostex driver has the grille attached to the driver but the grille on the M06 is part of the driver plate. I didn't like the idea of having dual grille's so I decided to remove the one from the M06 as it seemed the easiest to remove. To remove it gently crack it off using your precision screwdriver by yanking it left and right and when you get an opening large enough use a pliers to rip the rest of it off. Be gentle doing this so as not to crack.the plate as it's very lightweight and thin. I used a circular file to tide up the jagged bits. Don't worry if the plate gets scratched during this process as it will be concealed by the earpad lining when you reattach them.

Step 4 - Solder the fostex drivers to the M06. The red wire goes on the right. I'll leave you to figure out where the other one goes : )

Step 5 - Place the driver onto the M06 driver housing plate. Just push it on. It holds firmly in place. I didn't use any glue as it seemed quite secure as it was. Use some if your's feels loose.

Step 6 - Reassemble the unit. 

You now have a pair of bluetooth  Ausdom Creative Aurvana Live ! Enjoy !

As I said step 3 is optional ( I think ) and would make this mod even easier if you skip that step. I hope you enjoyed my first ever mod. I was extremely happy with the results.

And If you don't like to waste things you now have a couple of fridge magnets !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back