Restoring WINDOWS files
Apr 6, 2008 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

w33nie

New Head-Fier
So a virus won't allow me to boot my parent's computer, it shows the windows logo and then the screen turns black and nothing happens. Same with safe mode. I have the CD, any way to restore the files?

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Have you tried the "last known good configuration" option in the boot menu?

If that doesn't work, then stick the windows cd in the drive, boot from it and put a new install in over the top of the old one, that might heal up the system, but its a messy way to do things. If it does work then take the opportunity to back up all of the photos files and things on the machine and then do a clean reinstall. Then teach your parents how AVG and Spybot work.

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 7
on XP i know for a fact that you can boot from the windows XP cd and then simply choose to "repair" the OS, it simply reinstalls the OS while leaving the files and everything else intact

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, my parents computer is really old, it runs on 256 MB and 2.0 Celeron on XP, and antiviruses only slow down the system and aggravate my dad. I'll try the last good configuration, if that works ill do a system restore. If it doesn't, ill use the repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back