Restoring faded clothes?
Feb 19, 2005 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
my favorite band is Reel Big Fish, i got a hoodie at one of their concerts and i love it, however due to normal wear and tear it has faded. i was wondering if any head-fi'ers know any tips or tricks to restore black clothing, i would really appriciate any help
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 9
Fading of clothing is a function of oxidation by light and laundry bleaches (oxygen bleach, ie: oxyclean or chlorine bleach, ie: chlorox) and dye loss due to washing (the colored stuff that runs off in water and sometimes stains your whites). Once the cloth has lost the dye and is no longer saturated with it, you really can't put it back unless you redye the garment. If you have any sort of pattern or design, this is usually not feasible. Additional dye will affect any design that is stamped or even woven into the garment to the point of masking it completely in some cases. Once the garment has faded, that's pretty much it, unless it is a solid color and the fabric is strong enough to withstand a second dying procedure. Be warned, the process can also change the "hand" (how the garment feels to your hand) as well as the color.

Just enjoy the hoodie as long as you can, and don't worry if it no longer looks new. The best thing would be to see if you can buy another hoodie through the group's website if they have one. Failing that, you will just have to wait until there is another concert.

Feb 19, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 9
axle greese
tongue.gif

actually black is a b*tch and once faded is done for.At one time i wore pretty much monochromic clothing-all black with a tough of gray or white and especially with the black levis,once they wear they are tossed in the trash or cut into shorts.
Nothing worse than black clothing that is no longer black

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Nothing worse than black clothing that is no longer black

No Way!! White into pink is much worse...

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 9
There is that new Woolite for black clothes. It has a black dye in it.

But it won't restore faded clothes.

You can dye clothes to restore some color. But faded graphics or worn appliques are gone for good.

Hint, turn your clothes inside out before washing to help reduce wearing a bit.
Especially for logo'd Tees.

-Ed

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Feb 19, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Hint, turn your clothes inside out before washing to help reduce wearing a bit. Especially for logo'd Tees.

This is the best tip. I do this for most of my jeans and pants, too, and it defintely helps.

For a lot of my hoodies and shirts, though, I appreciate the wear, as long as it's not torn up. Maybe put it away for a while (a *long* while; pretty much try to forget about it), then come back to it. You might like it even more.

As for specific colors, I've always had navy and 'crayon' red fade the fastest on me. I really do like to hold on to shirts past their prime, but after navy becomes purple, it mightbe time to hang it up. (if only there were a real answer to this thread
icon10.gif
) I once heard from a sticker/label printer that red makes for the most noticeable fade of any color.

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 9
It's no surprise if the navy fades, as it is a notoriously unstable dye. As for red, red is a loose dye which means that there is always loads of runoff in the wash. Never, ever put a red garment in with whites unless you want them pink!

Turning garments inside out is fine, as long as you don't have any real dirt on them: grass, food stains, etc. Then you can try spot cleaning the heavily soiled area and then turning it inside out. Also, if you have a front load washer, you don't need to turn it inside out. Turning inside out is only to prevent surface abrasion from the agitators in top load washing machines. It probably wont affect dye run-off, or how the fabric reacts to the oxyclean, chlorox or chlorox 2. You all should also be aware that most water purification involves the addition of chlorine to public water supplies, so there is always an amount of bleaching involved in washing. That's why many people don't wash their jeans if they have special whiskered finishes, etc. and instead have them dry cleaned. Dry cleaning will preserve colors the longest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back