responce EQ compensation?
Jul 11, 2008 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

1nf1n1tygame

Head-Fier
hi,
i was wondering wouldn't it be possible to make a response chart for every frequency a speaker/headphones can output using an reference mic and than using an eq on your source compensating every frequency to create a perfect flat sound?

seems to me like the perfect solution, somebody just needs to make these charts, and to get a perfect compensation you will probably need some digital EQ that can adjust the levels per frequency or per 10/100?

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Jul 12, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Interesting thread jcx, although I'm surprised the author likes the e2c's, I hate mine. I think they sound pretty awful.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 6
thats what i'm talking about. its such a simple process, i find it strange that not all headphones/iems come pre equalised out of the box.

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Because it is NOT that simple of a process.
A headphone that measures flat will not be perceived flat.
You have to account for the Ear-Transferfunction which is proprietary to every single ear. This is why headphones do sound different to different persons,the manufacturers work with a standardized transferfunction they elect as suitable.
Headphones are equalized just not perfectly adjusted to your ears.

In the end you could equalize your headphones but it's only making sense if you get your HRTF measured and EQ according to that and not to get it measuring flat in a freefield measurement

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it is NOT that simple of a process.
A headphone that measures flat will not be perceived flat.
You have to account for the Ear-Transferfunction which is proprietary to every single ear. This is why headphones do sound different to different persons,the manufacturers work with a standardized transferfunction they elect as suitable.
Headphones are equalized just not perfectly adjusted to your ears.

In the end you could equalize your headphones but it's only making sense if you get your HRTF measured and EQ according to that and not to get it measuring flat in a freefield measurement

those transferfunctions you're talking about are only for knowing were the sound comes from, it doesn't actually change the sound, besides speakers have the exact same kinds of drops and peaks in there response, so what you're saying just isn't true...

besides those transfer functions don't actually mean that you can hear sertain frequency's better and some worse when they are generated from outside your ear. when sound bounces of your ear you get a minute fase shift wich your brain can detect. it hast nothing to do with frequency response...

another thing, why do all the phones even from the same manufacturer have diffirent response charts? you would think if a manufacturer found those EQ settings suitable they would use it on ther entire line?

thats right the diffirentiating responses are just a result of the individual driver design...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back