Respectable Stereo Tuner Amp?
Aug 30, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by badpenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, here is the deal... I made a mistake in calling a receiver a tuner, I don't need a tuner. In the near future I would like a receiver hooked up to my computer via optical for playing sound through a set of bookshelf speakers. Also, I want my record player to be hooked up to those speakers.

- I would like optical inputs.
- Line level output for amp + phones. (to hold me over untill I get a dedicated DAC)
- Phono input.

Should I just get a 5.1 receiver and use it in stereo? im not quite sure? I don't need all the bells and whistles... but I would like good sound and possibly 3d stereo effects for movies and such.

Also looking at some bookshelf speakers for under $350 that are quite available. Possible a good match with a suggested receiver.

Since your main focus is stereo music reproduction I'd forget Recievers altogether.

Get a good quality basic DA converter like the M-Audio Audiophile which can be in the form of a PCI card or a standalone USB or Firewire box which will have both analogue and digital inputs and outputs.

Some of these boxes now also have built in phono stages but the quality is questionable so my recommendation would be a vintage integrated amp like the NAD 3020/3150

http://cgi.ebay.com/NAD-3020-3020A-S...QQcmdZViewItem

which are proper entry level audiophile quality, renowned for their excellent phono stages. They also have a few line level inputs, a tape loop a good quality headphone output and will sound much better than a basic modern cinema reciever which is what you'll find new for this kind of budget.

The classic matching pair of small bookshelf speakers would be Wharfdale Diamonds but I don't know how common these are in the US / Canada so maybe something like Polk would be worth looking into? The NAD's don't claim to have huge amounts of power but will drive tough loads with ease. You can even add a power amp later if you like as they have pre-out.

Aug 30, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #17 of 27
What about something like the NAD C160-162, I could hook my Heed into the preout, and an dedicated DAC into the aux? And then maybe just search for an AMP that mates well with some bookshelf speakers.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

What about something like the NAD C160-162

These are pretty good too as far as I remember (mid 1990's?). The quality of NAD amps has definitely gone down overall since the 1980's though. I recently fixed a C320 for a friend and the main capacitors were leaking after only 5 years ( o
It sounds good enough and has a remote but no phonostage even though there is a phono button on the front. It compares well enough to my old 3020 but this is a lot better made and is still going strong after nearly 30 years.

The C160-162 was probably the last series to have an onboard phonostage and I'd probably take one over the Pioneer A400 which was the 1990s budget audiophile amp just on that basis.

Marantz made some good integrated amps in the 1990s like the PM40 which have a reasonable phonostage, not much better than the Pioneer A300/400 though.

You have to remember that the main source was CD from the early 1990s so phonostages became a bit of an afterthought compared to earlier designs.

The big old '70s vintage recievers from Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui etc are worth checking out also as some of these have decent phonostages.

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Didn't Adcom make a tuner-pre at one time?

Yes, the GTP-450 and 500. Both can be had for well under your price range. If you do not mind vintage equipment, I would suggest a older receiver or integrated amp from Sansui, Kenwood, or Pioneer. McIntosh also made a number of tuner/pre combos (the MX112, MX113, MX114, and MX115), they often can found in the $500 range as they are not quite as collectible as the Mac separates.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter braun
Yes, the GTP-450 and 500. Both can be had for well under your price range.

The units I recommended in previous post are discrete while the later units like these are based on opamps and are not in the same class.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #21 of 27
Well, I have checked out the Outlaw stereo receiver, and its pretty nice... I want something simple, and I would like to stay away from multiple components. So this seems like a good option. Sound quality doesn't matter tooooo much for me in this situation (Critical listening done by headphones). Having said that I would like it to sound nice. Anyone know any alternatives to the Outlaw? That can match it as far as a modern stereo receiver.

Thank's for all your input guys!

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #23 of 27
I would like digital inputs, I don't want to use a mini-rca cable from my mac's sound card... it has a great optical out and I would like to use it if possible. The Outlaw has USB, which I would also go for.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

I would like digital inputs, I don't want to use a mini-rca cable from my mac's sound card... it has a great optical out and I would like to use it if possible. The Outlaw has USB, which I would also go for.

You need a proper external soundcard / DAC and even a basic one like the M-Audio I mentioned will be probably be much better quality than some all-in-one do-it-all box.

Athough that Outlaw looks interesting and has some nice features it's also a bit gimmicky and trying to be all things to all men.

Generally speaking in Hi-Fi the more focused a product is the better quality it is.

Discreet components with their own power supplies are always better sounding and never more so than at the lower end of the market.

Having good quality cans and a dedicated headphone amp will just expose the shortcommings of cheaper components further up the chain.

Aug 31, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #25 of 27
I will have an external DAC (stello DA100) soon enough. I don't care enough for movie / phono audio quality... I feel a decent pair of bookshelf speakers paired with a decent do all receiver will be fine for what i need it for... (ambient music for chilling out with firends, watching movies, and listening to various other random computer audio) thats what I want a be-all-do-all player for. As for critical listening I use only my headphone setup.

'mac > stello da100 > heed > k701'

Aug 31, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

I will have an external DAC (stello DA100) soon enough.

Ah ok. Still I'd say you'll getter better value from a vintage integrated or receiver. That Outlaw box looks like they spent most of the money on the faceplate. Check out http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/ as they make some more purist yet reasonably priced Hi-Fi amps if you want to buy new.

Bookshelf speakers can be very good indeed, so you might be pleasantly surprised. Try to put them on tall lightweight rigid stands if possible rather than actually on shelves.
Epos make some very good ones but these may be expensive in the USA / Canada.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #27 of 27
Paradigm makes some great bookshelves that should be reasonable in Canada. X2 on the stands. Have you looked at an Anthem TLP-1? They have been going for very reasonable prices on Audiogon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back