Resonant Closed Cans
May 6, 2007 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

onvn

100+ Head-Fier
I'm now looking into headphones with resonance. I enjoy hearing vocals and acoustic instrument resonance when listening to headphones. I get this with my ER6i but not with my K701, as it is an open can.

So anyone can recommend a particularly resonant headphone? I want sq comparable to the k701 and a flat frequency response, not colored.. Price doesn't matter at this stage since I'm still researching but if price can be included in your posts it'd be great..

Reno

May 6, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 4
The ATH-W5000s are very nice in this area. They have a very emotional presentation and large soundstage. Read up on what I have said on these and others like Elephas.

The new Denons may also be an alternative so you could read up on those. I have not heard the Denons.

May 6, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 4
According to most manufacturers, wood does resonate better than other types of driver housings, though I doubt the difference is extremely noticeable. Of the many types of wood headphones, the ones that come to mind include the RS-1's, the RS-2's, the Denon AD-5000, and various Audio-Technica models.

It's worth noting, though, that I chose to buy my RS-1's over the 325i's because they seemed less piercing and fatiguing; the wood had only cosmetic appeal to me. While its possible that the wood lends to the sonic character of a headphone, it didn't do anything to sway me towards the high-end Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back