Resonance with A5s on wooden desk?!
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

backtoreality15

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've been a happy owner of Audioengine A5s for a few months now. Previously, I used them with Mo-Pads on a glass desk and there was no resonance/vibration on there. However, I recently got a simple wooden Ikea table and there is SO MUCH vibration and resonance on low bass notes even with the Mo-Pads. I don't notice it with trance or house, but on tracks with lots of bass guitar strumming, it drives me insane.

What can I do about it? Stands?

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 7
I run mine in a similar set up (butcher block style wooden desk w/ mopads) and get no vibration. Are yours angled up of flat?
Perhaps you should go through the desk and tighten it up, and maybe try removing/ moving the other items on the desk until you find just what is vibrating.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewfus420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I run mine in a similar set up (butcher block style wooden desk w/ mopads) and get no vibration. Are yours angled up of flat?
Perhaps you should go through the desk and tighten it up, and maybe try removing/ moving the other items on the desk until you find just what is vibrating.

Thanks. I removed everything expect my laptop and DAC, but no luck. Still get the annoying resonance with certain bass notes.

Its not angled, just flat. I can't angle them up or they would be shooting away from my ears.

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 7
When you hit the natural harmonic frequency of the table you are bound to get alot of resonance and there is not much you can do about it.
Maybe you can try to put something soft like a pillow under the speaker. Not sure if that would help, though.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the A5's...Since they are rear ported they are very senistive to placement.

I was wrestling around with them and found out about MoPads.

Auralex MoPad Monitor Isolation Pads and more Acoustic Treatments at GuitarCenter.com.

Really helped with some low end resonace I was getting...They also helped with a kind of muddy sound I was gettting in the lower end stuff.

Audio Engines need to be tilted up or down just a bit...Or so seeezzz some people on various boards.

I will chase down one of the threads and post back with what those guys are saying.

MoPads are kinda pricey but they really cleaned up the sound of my A5's.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back