Resolution Audio cantata 3.0
Jan 6, 2018 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MattSPL

100+ Head-Fier
Has anybody heard the new Cantata 3.0 yet?
Same chassis as the original Cantata(which can be upgraded), but with a new Dac inside and analogue inputs/phono stage.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 9
I just got back my Cantata upgraded to 3.0. In a word, wow. I’ve only listened to 16/44.1 so far, but I am hearing ambient and dimensional cues I have never heard in these recordings before. It actually sounds like what MQA is pitched as (and I have heard a couple of MQA DACs). There is clearly more info in Redbook than we have been hearing for the last 30 plus years. Really worth the upgrade cost.

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 9
I just got back my Cantata upgraded to 3.0. In a word, wow. I’ve only listened to 16/44.1 so far, but I am hearing ambient and dimensional cues I have never heard in these recordings before. It actually sounds like what MQA is pitched as (and I have heard a couple of MQA DACs). There is clearly more info in Redbook than we have been hearing for the last 30 plus years. Really worth the upgrade cost.

Thanks for the reply, sounds amazing. I need to save for the upgrade.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 9
If I may hop on this thread I’m about to put my Cantata 3.0 for sale (I’ve had it since launch date and it went from 1.0, 2.0 to 3.0 last year in December 2017.
Beware it’s the EU version (and in mind condition). Just want to give something else a try :)

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 9
If I may hop on this thread I’m about to put my Cantata 3.0 for sale (I’ve had it since launch date and it went from 1.0, 2.0 to 3.0 last year in December 2017.
Beware it’s the EU version (and in mind condition). Just want to give something else a try :)

Could you please describe the differences each upgrade brought? Mine is a 2.0 and hope to upgrade someday. Thanks

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 9
Could you please describe the differences each upgrade brought? Mine is a 2.0 and hope to upgrade someday. Thanks

Sure, upgrade 2.0 was a new board to support up to high rez 192. Upgrade 3.0 takes it to yet another level. Low end goes a bit deeper but what I really noticed was that music has such a natural flow. For info, I’m using a Bluesound Node 2 as streamer (audioquest diamond optical to Cantata), Sugden A21se amplifier and Harbeth m30.1 as speakers. For head-fi I have a little Sugden Masterclass HA-4 amp connected to the Cantata. With the Focal Utopia the sound blows my mind :)

I remember that I was one of the first worldwide to have received the 2.0 board so my dealer asked me, as requested by Jeff the Cantata designer, to test the first ‘firmware’.

The Cantata became a very stable platform throughout the years (my unit was one of the first 2 delivered in the Belgium/Netherlands region. I upgraded from a Resolution Audio Opus system).

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 9
Sure, upgrade 2.0 was a new board to support up to high rez 192. Upgrade 3.0 takes it to yet another level. Low end goes a bit deeper but what I really noticed was that music has such a natural flow. For info, I’m using a Bluesound Node 2 as streamer (audioquest diamond optical to Cantata), Sugden A21se amplifier and Harbeth m30.1 as speakers. For head-fi I have a little Sugden Masterclass HA-4 amp connected to the Cantata. With the Focal Utopia the sound blows my mind :)

Thanks for the info. That’s what I love about the Cantata, it’s so natural and takes everything in its stride, sounding lightning fast but relaxed. Mine is in a Hifi setup too with active monitors and dual DIY 18inch subs. Good live music sounds amazing, with kick drums sounding and feeling like the drummer is in the room. Plucked double bass is really nice too.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the info. That’s what I love about the Cantata, it’s so natural and takes everything in its stride, sounding lightning fast but relaxed. Mine is in a Hifi setup too with active monitors and dual DIY 18inch subs. Good live music sounds amazing, with kick drums sounding and feeling like the drummer is in the room. Plucked double bass is really nice too.

You’re welcome. If you decide to take the upgrade plunge you won’t regret it. Even if the upgrade cost was 3,500 EUR for me I decided last year that it was a good move to bring it up to date (a new cantata 3.0 retails for 10k Eur here).

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Just in case of need :). My Resolution Audio Cantata is up for sale. Upgraded to version 3.0 one year ago and in mint condition. EU voltage. Drop me a msg for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back