resistor height question
Jun 21, 2007 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
For reasons too long to mention, I'm in a situation where the resistor leads are too thick (by only a little bit) for my PCB. The lead tips will fit in, but will not travel through the hole, no matter how much I heat it up. I've no problem with leaving the resitor up in the air (don't want to cut the leads on these resistors just in case...), but I'm not sure if this configuration will adversely affect my sound/the circuit (added resistance due to lead lengths, inductance, etc.)

Can anyone help?

cheers.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 3
It can, but without more details, you won't get more than wild speculation.

We'd need the schematic, the layout, and the list of resistors that won't fit, plus the amount of lead length. And even then, without doing a detailed analysis, you won't get more than an informed guess.

Have you tried sanding the leads down? Take some fairly fine sandpaper -- 220 grit should do it -- fold it in half, and run the lead back and forth through it. You should be able to strip several mils off of it quickly this way.

And for the next time, add at least 4 mils to the resistor lead diameter when sizing the holes in the layout program. Add more if your board provider sizes the holes as before plating, not after.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 3
cheers! I'll sand those leads down.

As for my board - I'm used to 1/4 watt resistors (that's what the board was designed for), and this holco is huge comparitively. I'm not sure if I ordered a 1/2 watt value or if the resistor is naturally large compared to PRP...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back