Resistor Adaptor; Some Questions
Feb 14, 2008 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I am curently using the Sony MDR 750HD, a 24 ohms impedance headphone, with a LD MKIII tube amp. The amp is set to gain 3(the lowest)

I love what I hear and the point of this post is not to improve the present SQ. I like the synergy between the amp and the Sony.However I would like to experiment with a in-line resistor adaptor and would need some suggestions.

I can buy one of the following resistor adaptor: 36-68-75-91-120-150 or 300 ohms. I think the value of 75 ohms is a "sweet spot" for many. I do not know why? Also I only want to buy one adaptor for now!

Which one should I get and will I note a difference in SQ. The amp can be set to a higher gain without problem.

Also is it as simple an equation as : 24 ohms + 75 ohms= 99ohms ? Impedance has to do with the opposition to current from a coil and/or a capacitor.

Is more impedance=more definition?

any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

regards,

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 7
At the plug, whatever the resistance is you would add 75, to get 99 ohms. My px100s and 22.5 ohm adapter get about 55 ohms (I don't use this combo, but used it to test the rated impedance).

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 7
From what I know the extra impedance helps certain DAPs with the bass rolloff. It also gets rid of any/most hiss you may find. And according to a post in the Livewires thread, it adds detail.

Off topic, but is bass pronounces bàss (high a) or bayse (long a)?

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I know the extra impedance helps certain DAPs with the bass rolloff. It also gets rid of any/most hiss you may find. And according to a post in the Livewires thread, it adds detail.

Off topic, but is bass pronounces bàss (high a) or bayse (long a)?

The second one. The a in bass is like in bay. With a short a sound it's the fish or the beer. Or maybe that's what your talking about? hehe I assume you mean the musical term given the subject of the forums.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If it adds detail is there a formula to go about?

What value should I get of resistor/impedance adaptor? I was thinking of getting the 150 ohms , to be in the midrange of the 300 ohms value.
The headphone I use have 24 ohms of impedance.

regards,

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 7
where did you find the adapters? i was going to make my own, but if its cheaper to buy, i might as well do that.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by soul05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you find the adapters? i was going to make my own, but if its cheaper to buy, i might as well do that.

Per a recent email I had with this seller:ETYMOTIC ER4P TO ER4S RESISTOR ADAPTOR - (eBay.ca item 290206047311 end time 19-Feb-08 05:47:27 EST)

Available are the values from 36 to 300 ohms. Contact him.

Still I'd like to have some information on the possibility of causing more details if I use a resistor/impedance adapter!

What do you think/know about this?

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back