Resistance/Impedance modifying cables
Dec 28, 2007 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nowyoucanlaugh

New Head-Fier
I was thinking about the ER4P to ER4S adapter Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•4 Accessories , and was just wondering if anybody has experimented with using this cable with anything other than the iM716 and the ER4P...how might it change the sound of a generally low impedance phone like the Shure E2C, MylarOne X3, the UE Super.fi 3, Atrios series, or the Q/J-jays?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but it crossed my mind and I was wondering if anybody had had the same ideas.

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 20
I have wondered this matter too. Would cable like this improve sound of shure E4's or PK1's when driven by amp? I'm sure some have these cables and lot of toys to test them with so tell us a tale
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 20
The E4 improves dramatically. Bass will not be as flabby and the treble extends further. Vocals will not sound as 2D. Be warned that this will make the E4 more revealing however.

I use 160 Ohms and 200 Ohms with it though, never tried 75 Ohms.

The E5, UM2 and SuperFi5Pro suffer from an impedance adapter, their sound becomes shaky and unstable, caused by what I believe to be their crossover implementation.

I have not tried them with many dynamic driver based phones yet, but with my RP-21, DR150 and EP630, the general consensus I come up with is that bass is boosted and treble gets further pushed back, creating a somewhat 'lazy' sound.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 20
Yeah, I'd assume that the cable would be more or less an attenuator, though I feel like there is a possibility that it may be a more complex circuit than a simply resistive attenuator; it more than likely has a complex ladder or resistors or something optimized for changing the sonic qualities. Then again, it may just be something simple and overpriced.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 20
That cable is ridiculous high-prices. Just a 2 resistors in it
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can't DIY, you can buy it anytime here
I've DIY-ed one for me and also bought one from him. His build is very very good and nice stamps on the envelope
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That cable is ridiculous high-prices. Just a 2 resistors in it
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can't DIY, you can buy it anytime here
I've DIY-ed one for me and also bought one from him. His build is very very good and nice stamps on the envelope
smily_headphones1.gif

Someone mentioned that seller and those impedance adapters. So you do recommend his items? I'll keep that in mind.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 20
The Shure volume attentuator can be used as a variable resistor.

It has a value between 0 to 550 Ohms last I measured.

Differences in the E4 will only take effect when the slider is sled towards 'low volume', in effect increasing the resistance of the line. The more the slider is leaning towards lower volume, the higher the resistance value, and the easier the changes get detected.

Leaving it at default '0' will not bring about any changes.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #11 of 20
I'm DIYing a cable to connect to my SE530s (woo for the modular design) in place of the stock one. When Xin comes back around, and I finally get my much-wanted SuperMicro-IV, I'll be adding a resistor into said cable. As such, the results of this are of some interest to me, because I want to know what to expect going into it. I've tried using Shure's attenuator, but the headphone-amps of my products like to clip when turned up high enough to use the attenuator positively (though I'll admit that I've not done enough testing with it to form any definitive opinions).

[I've been up for about 44 hours, so if I'm not making sense, I apologize.]

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned that seller and those impedance adapters. So you do recommend his items? I'll keep that in mind.

I don't know what 'mentioned' here means ? Fine or bad ?
I've recently bought one from him. I can't ask more from him. That's what I feel.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by qscq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could this be used to replace impedance adapter?

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...vel_attenuator

edit: I tried with Move and E4's but it's hard to hear any significant difference if any difference at all.

the quality of the potentiometer is likely not as good as metal film resistors, as many have reported degraded sound quality.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 20
Ah, so it may not have just been me? I didn't think my E4s sounded "right" when using the attenuator. (I've not tried my SE530s with it, yet. It's sitting in the bottom of that oh-so-pretty aluminum case. :drool: )

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure volume attentuator can be used as a variable resistor.

It has a value between 0 to 550 Ohms last I measured.

Differences in the E4 will only take effect when the slider is sled towards 'low volume', in effect increasing the resistance of the line. The more the slider is leaning towards lower volume, the higher the resistance value, and the easier the changes get detected.

Leaving it at default '0' will not bring about any changes.

Yeh I tried it in about the middle spot.
If it really works, what might be the "sweet spot" with E4's? Maybe the problem is the attentuator then..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back