Resigning..
Dec 5, 2006 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kite

New Head-Fier
Hi~

well it´s now quite a time since i started with portable music.. i´ve never had very expensive phones and stuff.. now i bought myself an iAudio X5. The Seller gave me 2 additional Headphones with it. The Senn CX300 and the MX55.

The MX55 do have a good quality but they really lack bass and they are not very usefull if used outdoors. You hear everything except the music ^^
BUT they delievered a nice Stereosound if listened at home in a quiet environment. But they are very quiet, i have to turn the volume up in comparison with the CX and the built-in Volumecontrol is also at max. Plus, they are very loud for People around me i think.

The CX300.. well..they are "WMMP WMMP" i don´t know how to describe that but they never sound very good. Bass would be ok but i can´t tune it up because the higher bass frequencies are always taking over the music.. it all sounds dampened or something. Also the heights are really not satisfying, plus i don´t like it that i can´t hear anything around me. AND they can´t keep up with the sound or something. If i play a song which is very detailed, or a rock-song (like the ending from the game prey if anyone knows) it all just goes "blaerk"
smily_headphones1.gif
just garbage, loud garbage but not music.

I´ve used the (Rockbox) EQ with the Phones, but was not able to tweak it to my desires. Mids down, Highs up seems to work best for the CX300 but it sounds (obviously) really strange, but far better that mids up, highs up IMO.

I´m listening to almost everything. Hardrock, Alternative, Instrumental Videogame Music and a bit classic too. I also like to have some Bass but it does not need to be extremly bassy. And yes i have looked at the Audio-Technica ATH-EM700..everyone here seems to warn one of these clip-ons and recommends the Koss 35 or 75 but to be honest, i find these VERY ugly and other sources say, that an unmodded 75 just sounds "OOMPH"
Biggest problem here is that i cannot test-hear all the phones anywhere >_>

I don´t like to wear HUGE fullsize phones outside.. maybe smaller but i prefer Earbuds or Clipons and it seems that i dislike InEar
smily_headphones1.gif
Although i´m thinking about the Super.fi 5 pro..will i dislike these too if i hate the CX300?

So, are the Audio Technika EM700 really that bad, just good looking, or just not as strong bassy as the Koss? I would use my EQ too for that..(will that be of any help then?)

Any other recommendations for Clipons or Earbuds? Up to 100$ would be ok i think. I know that the text above must be very confusing, sorry, if something is unclear please say so and i´ll try my best
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MDR-EX90LP(SL)

The sound nice, just read a review. But they are InEar too, do they shut you off everything else around you as strong as the CX300 or other inears as they seem to be constructed slightly different than other inears?

What about the MDR-E888 in comparison?

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 10
I use the EW-9 clip ons. Indoors at work where I have to hear the environment and not have an obvious pair of headphones on. If you want bass, forget it. They don't sound too bad in the mids and highs. Not like full cans or even IEMs. More like a bud. If you are active (jogging, hoops) outdoors, or have larger ears, I don't think they are very good. The clip holds behind the ear by a rubber strip, then slide the phone up the post to keep it tight. Just walking or light yardwork maybe.

You don't need an amp but I use one. Does bring out as much bass as possible. These are a bit more than $100 unless you find used. I would think the metal clips would have better bass. I like the highs of the EWs. Check out the sticks too. The titanium sticks don't sound too bad.

I found Microcenter (computer) carries AT line of portables on a stand that you can sample. Not the best price though. Also check out music instrument stores.

If full sound and best quality can be compromised, they do. I commented for the availability of clip ons.

Dec 5, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound nice, just read a review. But they are InEar too, do they shut you off everything else around you as strong as the CX300 or other inears as they seem to be constructed slightly different than other inears?

What about the MDR-E888 in comparison?

surprisingly, islation is minimal compared to other in-ear phones, so expect to hear street noise. haven't tried the CX300, but the bass isn't boomy on the EX90. search for the EX90 modding thread where the sound will greatly improve over an already good sounding un-modified EX90.

sound-wise, the E888 in comparison from what i heard, is very similar in regards to the EX90. isolation on the E888 is next to none (as to be expected), but the E888 does trump the EX90 in terms of sound quality.

Dec 5, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone and thanks camille for mentioning the EX90, i´ve read the modding thread and i think i´ll get em
smily_headphones1.gif

Good choice. KSC75 and EX90 are my fave portables. Neither isolate much (a plus in my book).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back