Reshell Westone 2?
Dec 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jowens

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried to reshell this model into customs?

To make a long story short, my dog chewed up my Westone 2 earphones (the longer story starts with me offering to loan them to my wife...)
Both housing are cracked open into 2 pieces, exposing the armatures and wiring inside. As far as I can tell, the "guts" of the phones are fine. They even work, but
are obviously unusable.

I have been intrigued by customs for a while , but could not really justify the cost and had no plans to get any.
Now I am considering getting someone like Fisher to turn them into customs.

Westone has been generous enough to offer me a replacement pair for $125 - not a warranty claim, just a courtesy which I truly appreciate.

Just wondering which option would be best from a financial and sonic standpoint.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or relevant experience.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 3
If you were able to get a good fit with them and enjoyed the sound, I would go for the replacement pair. If you have issues getting a proper seal most of the time, I would go with the reshell.

For the reshell, you will have to pay for the reshell fee, the cable, and ear impressions (I highly recommend getting them done by an audiologist). That can go well beyond $125.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 3
I'd take the replacement pair. Reshell is over $125 even at the cheapest option being Fisher. Fisher would be $90 for remold cost, $30 for ES cable, $50 for impressions. That would be $170 or so being the cheapest not including shipping. I wouldn't want to spend that amount on the W2 for a remold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back