Reshell or warranty delimma; um3x
Feb 17, 2011 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rmccullo

Head-Fier
So I went running the other night, and after sweating excessively, got some moisture inside the right monitor. The drivers did not work, while the left side did. I panicked and put the monitors in front of a best lamp. After 3-4 minutes baking in front of the lamp, the right monitor started working again. I could still see some moisture, and decided to leave them in front of the heat lamp for a few more minutes. I the noticed that the left housing(black half) became warped and had a gap. I could not believe what I did. But in the contrary, the monitors still sound the same. I then contact westone and explained exactly what happened. They said that they could fix it. I was releived as I could not believe that I made such a stupid mistake. But then I get a second email saying that they will inspect it and let me know how much they'll charge. I had high hopes that maybe they would just take care of it, since its just the black plastic. I understand that when I put the monitors in front of the heat lamp, all warranties would be void. I'm not bashing anyone or complaining. I was just hoping that my honesty could help me.

So now I'm thinking, I saw a thread about reshelling the um3x. That just might be a better solution. I don't want to send my Iems to westone, and wait a couple weeks to hear that I have to pay $80,$100, or whatever. The monitors actually sound fine, but it's just the disfigured shell that gets to me. And if they said that I have to pay, my warranty must be voided.

I want to know who has had their um3x reshelled and by who. I'm leaning towards fisher. I would definitely consider um, but shipping them to china and risking losing them to customs doesn't appeal to me. I would like impressions on the sound quality, and durability. Thanks

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 4
Next time when sweat gets into the housing, rinse them with plain, good, ol' water and then put them in a jar of rice. Baking/heating electronics to get the moisture out is always a bad idea. On the other point, while it is really noble to be honest... being honest rarely ever get you a free warranty check in any businesses.

Just a word of advice.
tongue.gif

Now that is out of the way, I'd highly recommend you to go through with Westone fixing it instead. Remolding always changes some things with the sound. It could be better or worse depending on how's it done or whether you add any drivers or other specifications.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Next time when sweat gets into the housing, rinse them with plain, good, ol' water and then put them in a jar of rice. Baking/heating electronics to get the moisture out is always a bad idea. On the other point, while it is really noble to be honest... being honest rarely ever get you a free warranty check in any businesses. Just a word of advice. :p Now that is out of the way, I'd highly recommend you to go through with Westone fixing it instead. Remolding always changes some things with the sound. It could be better or worse depending on how's it done or whether you add any drivers or other specifications.

I can actually rinse the whole monitor in water? The insides too?

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I can actually rinse the whole monitor in water? The insides too?

As long as you don't use it while it is wet, sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back