Reshell old UE Superfi.5 vs new IEMs
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Icehawk

500+ Head-Fier
Wish I had them reshelled when they broke a long time back when it was easy to find services & they were cheap. Seems like a reshell is in the $250-300 range which is about what they cost new.

Considering the UEs are at least a decade old I'm *assuming* I can get better sound in the same price range - but if a reshell is the better way to go let me know.

If I replace them I'm looking for some very clean sounding IEMs in the $200-300 range, I haven't been around in a decade so I'm not sure what the "go-to"s are anymore. Based on my UE's I'm thinking I want dual balanced armatures again? I really prefer the single pole style of cable, the UE twin plug type broke on me a bunch of times and I have some Shures that could share cables if needed.

CIEM isn't out of the question but I'm thinking bang-for-buck a universal is probably the better option. I do have custom tips for the UE's and did like them though.

May 2, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 3
You can consider Campfire Audio Orion. It sounds clean with wide soundstage. The termination is MMCX so you can use your Shure cable as spare. Unfortunately it is single balanced armature driver but it sounds more than single BA. The remaining amount of money you can get a copper cable. I like the presentation of Orion with a copper cable because it is smoother and less fatigue causing.

May 8, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 3
Those look quite nice with the CNC'd shells but they are a bit more than I'd like to spend. All ears for other suggestions for a clean sounding BA IEM closer to $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back