Reserve some money for a headphone amp? or go all out..
Mar 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jamesjamesjames

New Head-Fier
Hi! im on my first purchase of some headphones, im off to uni soon for sound technology (recording etc) and iv been looking mainly at the akg k701s, mainly because theyd be useful in the studio with a flat frequency response for monitoring, i was just wondering if i should use my budget to purchase these and a reasonable pa2v2 from the lovely gary, or purchase some more modest headphones and a better quality amp? remember, im a student so the budget cant stretch past the cost of the K701s + the PA2V2
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

James

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesjamesjames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! im on my first purchase of some headphones, im off to uni soon for sound technology (recording etc) and iv been looking mainly at the akg k701s, mainly because theyd be useful in the studio with a flat frequency response for monitoring, i was just wondering if i should use my budget to purchase these and a reasonable pa2v2 from the lovely gary, or purchase some more modest headphones and a better quality amp? remember, im a student so the budget cant stretch past the cost of the K701s + the PA2V2
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

James

The PA2V2 is not going to be able to drive the K701. Don't even think about it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 17
I have also read the K701 won't show its full capabilities when driven by a portable amp, maybe only the Lisa III (very expensive). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 17
Go all out, you will buy that amp anyway, and this way you will spend more money without having a choice.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Go all out on headphones, then spend the rest on amplification.
wink.gif

But seriously, I seriously doubt the K701 will be properly driven by the PA2V2. So I recommend you buy the K701 now, then save up for a higher quality amplifier later on.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 17
meh, I wish I could find a schematic for that amp, but as it is I am hesitant. 2 AA batteries (3.0V if run in series) is not a lot of headroom for driving the 701s, unless there's some kind of voltage step-up in the amp, which is generally not sonically preferred. Also, there are at least 2 caps in the signal pathway, something you should really avoid unless your source has DC offset. Even then there should only be input coupling caps; imo there is no excuse for having output caps in a portable amp.

I'd buy the K701s and save a bit more and get a Mini^3 (built by one of the local diyers on head-fi or headwize). Your source shouldn't have any DC offset issues (most modern sources don't) and just getting those caps out of the signal pathway, plus tripling the power supply voltage all go a long way to making that amp a much better choice for the 701s, imo. Plus, the Mini^3 is a fantastic amp, with an active ground topology and very good measurements for a portable amp... and the AC adapter plugs into the back so you don't have three cables hanging off the front of the amp while listening and charging at the same time... I'd think you should be able to get a Mini^3 built for something in the area of $150 - $200, depending on the builder and the options you choose, etc., although you can't hold me to that price... I built my own so I don't know what the builders are charging these days.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go all out, you will buy that amp anyway, and this way you will spend more money without having a choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go all out on headphones, then spend the rest on amplification.
wink.gif

You guys are so awesome.
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 17
We actually got invited for team awesome... but we felt too awesome to join.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 17
ALWAYS go all out on headphone. It's better to have a headphone that has potential.

You also have to think about upgrading your source before getting an amp.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALWAYS go all out on headphone. It's better to have a headphone that has potential.

What would be funny is applying that to Stax (or a few others) and then realizing you can't even plug it in to anything.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 17
This is what I did with akg 701. Bought the headphone, ran it out of x-fi sound card. modded the sound card. bought a portable amp. this all happened in a couple of months. 1 year later bought a full sized amp. each time i upgraded the headphone improved so its like you get a new headphone every couple of months!

5 years ago i bought grado sr-125 liked them and didnt change anything in system.

Moral to the story is if you buy akg701 it will force you to improve the sytem you have until the 701 performs like you want it to.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be funny is applying that to Stax (or a few others) and then realizing you can't even plug it in to anything.

He he, yeah that would be quite funny.
But hopefully those looking into Stax know that they don't match up with amplifiers for dynamic headphones.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 17
I agree get the headphones that will be good enough to scale with the rest of your gear as you upgrade!

Good luck and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back