Requisite Introduction
Jul 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DrKC

100+ Head-Fier
I "signed up" a couple of days ago after visiting the forum for years.  I used to stop by a couple of times a month to keep up with what was happening.  Why now? I don't know - just seemed like it was time.
First, I'm one of those old, grouchy guys that have probably been around too long - I'll see 60 before the next presidential election.  I like to think I'm still open-minded about all things audio, but there are still a lot of cringe-worthy things/ideas floating around these days.

My equipment racks look like the Who's Who of who went out of business, got bought-out or morphed into the home theater business.  It includes Sonic Frontiers, Gold Aero, Counterpoint, California Audio Labs, Theta, and Audio Alchemy.  At least VPI and Classe are still around.

Musical tastes?  I'm a pop/rock guy from the '60s.  I've gotten more into jazz and blues over the past 20 years - given the dearth of pop/rock tunes that I like - yes, I'm "lamenting" as most old guys do.  I used to walk 5 miles through 7 foot snow drifts just to get to the record store.  I miss Phil Spector's wall of sound, the Funk Brothers out of Detroit, the Memphis Group and the original Muscle Shoals horns and rhythm section.  I think some the most overlooked/underrated bands are the Grassroots, Three Dog Night and Deep Purple.  Most Deep Purple lps did sound a little sonically crippled, but Made In Japan hooked me for life.  Bands like Rush, Journey and AC/DC never really clicked with me.  I liked some of their songs, but it just seemed like it was a been there/done that sort of thing.  I can handle a little Classical too.  I have the entire boxed set - 4 CDs - of Classical Music for People Who Hate Classical Music.

My headphones include a pair of HD 580s with a collapsed headband pad and no foam inside the earcups, a pair of Sony MDR-1700s that have held up well and my newest is a pair of Sony MDR-7520s.  I'm an open back fan and still prefer my 580s over the Sonys.  There are times when the closed back phones are preferred, but most of the time I find myself with the 580s on.  I need some new open back phones - I'm counting on you folks to help me.

So, that's it for now.  Oh, I do like tubes; just not in the summertime and only those in equipment that does not require constant futzing with - done that too - not again.  And yes, there is a copy of ND12 on one of my LP shelves - right next to Hot August Night.

Cheers
The Doctor

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 2
Oh, another thing - I also think Badge was one of the coolest songs - for its time.  I never fully understood the lyrics, but a pause in a pop song followed by a crescendo?  Not many before this one.  The bass line was phenomemal.
Ok, I'm done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back