Requirements for a DAP/PMP
Jan 13, 2007 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cyntax

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

So I've decided to finally take the plunge and start looking for a new DAP/PMP. I'm tired of hauling around CD's with me everywhere. I don't need something super small, I'd just like to be able to haul around most of my music collection (so somewhere in the 30+ gig would be nice) between home and work.

Primary uses would be:

1) At work to listen to music
2) In the car (my current system has an input for an IPOD, but i'm currently
looking into if this can be used for any device with a line out).

I want something that will look good sitting on my desk playing music. So it would be nice if the screen and its GUI was slick.

Things I would like in a player:
  1. Decent Sound quality preferably with a line out to run to my headphone amp
  2. A nice GUI interface with the ability to put CD cover art to display while the song is playing (preferably the art would take up the whole screen. the small postage stamp CD image on the Ipod is unfortunate
    frown.gif
    )
  3. FLAC or OGG or some sort of lossless format support would be nice, but I guess not 100% necessary.
  4. The ability to watch a slide show of pictures while listening to music. This is something i'd really like to find. I'd like to use the player almost as a digital picture frame at work while I listen to tunes. Are there any players that can do this?
  5. 30+ gigs would be nice.

Things that would be nice but not necessary:
  1. Touch screen
  2. Decent amount of accessories for car charging, docking, etc.
  3. Ability to watch video's

Does anyone have any suggestions on a player that would fit this these types of requirements? There seems to be way more players out there now then I had ever realized and its tough finding out details of them and if they are any good. So any help or suggestions you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
-Cyntax

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 8
dapreview.net has a DAP database you might try. The iAudio D2 and Q5 have touchscreens and play videos. The Q5 will have a 60G version and supports FLAC and OGG. If you relax those requirements there are more players available.

Cars with just a mini-jack AUX in can be used with any player with a line or headphone out. Some cars actually have docks just for iPods.

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Well having just finalized this decision myself... I'll see if I can offer a few thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyntax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) In the car (my current system has an input for an IPOD, but i'm currently looking into if this can be used for any device with a line out).

Yeah, if it's a headphone jack, then it'll be a universal line-in or AUX.

Touch screen - These do not have a very good track record. Most reviewers seem to agree, touch interfaces are just too touchy. I went out of my way to find actual buttons.

Decent amount of accessories for car charging, docking, etc.
Ability to watch video's
Great screen, digital FM tuner, memory slot, etc...

I went with a Creative Zen Vision W (30Gb). Sound quality is great, accessories all come with the unit. Creative is never lacking in accessories IMHO. You're not tethered to software, and you can dump your camera's pictures right onto the unit from what I understand.

Theres alot of choices out there, but I really feel the Vision W is the best of the bunch, just because of how well rounded it seems to be, in every single catagory.

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well having just finalized this decision myself... I'll see if I can offer a few thoughts.

Yeah, if it's a headphone jack, then it'll be a universal line-in or AUX.

Touch screen - These do not have a very good track record. Most reviewers seem to agree, touch interfaces are just too touchy. I went out of my way to find actual buttons.

Decent amount of accessories for car charging, docking, etc.
Ability to watch video's
Great screen, digital FM tuner, memory slot, etc...

I went with a Creative Zen Vision W (30Gb). Sound quality is great, accessories all come with the unit. Creative is never lacking in accessories IMHO. You're not tethered to software, and you can dump your camera's pictures right onto the unit from what I understand.

Theres alot of choices out there, but I really feel the Vision W is the best of the bunch, just because of how well rounded it seems to be, in every single catagory.

Thanks for the comments. With the Creative Zen Vision W, can you watch a picture slide show while listening to music?

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Honestly, I don't know.

It says that you can watch a slideshow with the TV-output.
I can't imagine it's "only" with the TV output... but since good documentation of these players seems to be sparse online, I won't really know until I get the thing this week.

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Hello,

Just wanted to follow up on this as I had a chance to play around with some players at bestbuy today. They had the Archos 404 on display and I was able to mess around with it.

First impressions:

Wow what a great looking player. The screen is really nice and the menus were quick and easy to navigate. It has audio playback, pictures, video, etc on it. And the best thing is that you can listen to audio WHILE playing a picture slide show
smily_headphones1.gif
This would allow me to use it as a digital picture frame while its sitting on my desk at work. There looks to be a 504(more space and larger screen) and a 604(touch screen! and wifi capabilities)

Two downsides of it though that I noticed:
1) Price! Wow these things arn't cheap. $499 CND for the 604 wifi
2) No line out for audio. Only a headphone out. They do have a doc you
can buy that has a line out but its another $100.

I'm planning on running it through a PPA amp. Anyone know what kind of difference I would see between a line out audio to a ppa, and just a headphone out to the ppa? Is it worth it for me to spend another $100 to get the proper line out?

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 8
What kind of battery does the Archos have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back