Require Upgrade Advice
Aug 26, 2007 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

hughwi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am in a slight dilemma and would really appreciate a bit of advice. I recently took my first step on the audiophile ladder and sorted myself out a decent (albeit budget) amplifier and DAC combination (Marantz PM4001 and Beresford TC-7510) and am now looking to upgrade my headphones.

I mainly listen to rock, however also enjoy jazz and classical/acoustic guitar pieces. I have an old CD transport that i use for my album collection, and am also listening to mp3s (all 256+) and FLAC through SPDIF out on my M-Audio Delta DIO soundcard.

I am currently using some Sennheiser HD-497s through the headphone amp on the DAC and whilst i am enjoying the sound, i still feel that i can do better.

I have done a fair amount of searching, but have become rather confused. A friend owns a pair of Beyer DT 880s which i have demoed and REALLY like, however i am also looking at keeping with the Sennheiser sound (HD650s?) or even trying out a pair of Grados (SR125s?). Has anyone got any suggestions of other pairs of cans which i might be missing out on?

I am travelling to Houston later this summer and would like to pick such a pair of headphones up there, as i assume they are cheaper than over here in the UK. Any recommendations for shops i should visit there?

Sorry for such a long-winded first post, but i want to get this purchase right! I have a budget of around £100-150 ($200-300 in Houston).

Cheers

Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back