Requesting some good Irish folk bands.
Jan 10, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #16 of 23
Big agreement with Silly Wizard. Not Irish, but some other British Isles bands anyways - Pentangle and Fothingray are both great music with stunning male/female harmonies. Also, Capercaillie are sweet (Gaelic singing) and Dougie Maclean plays some mean folksie-style Scottish and Irish tunes...mostly acoustic. Enjoy.

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #18 of 23
If you want genuine, try the Pogues.

Can't go wrong with The Chieftains either.

Not sure I would call Ireland a "british isle"
eek.gif
but you would probably like English folk as well - 60s folk and folk-rock is quite good: Fairport Convention, Pentangle, John Renbourn Group, Steeleye Span, Sandy Denny, and so on. Out of those, Pentangle and Denny are probably furthest from the sound you're looking for.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #19 of 23
The Pogues may rock the house, but I must say they're a bit thin on the trad side. Ditto for the first 3 albums by the Young Dubliners (they ditched the last trace of trad pretension lately, so don't bother)

To me the most successful melding of rock and traditional Celtic music actually comes from Scotland, in the form of the band Wolfstone. My favorite albums are The Half Tail and Year of the Dog

From England, the Oysterband has been a very successful folk-rock outfit, the album Here I Stand is brillant.

There used to be a band called McDermott Two Hours (which I think is from England) who also played a blend of rock-and-roll and Irish trad. The strong and brutal political contents of their songs, however, made them a rather hard listening.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I recently purchased some awesome music from bands like The Dubliners & Lunasa and I'm looking for some more great Irish music! I'm part Irish, and something in this music seems to touch me like none other. Please recommend some good bands with an Irish sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

De Dannan, Clannad, Bothy Band, any band with Triona Ni Dhomhnaill, Mary Black.
English, Scots bands with simular sounds: Silly Wizard, Fairport Convention,Steeleye Span.

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #22 of 23
Don't forget the band from Newfoundland, playing 'pop/rock music' with a very nice Irish folk twist, I love their record 'Something Beautiful' (2004). The Song 'John Barbour' is exceptional...

Great Big Sea

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great Big Sea was a Canadian folk rock band from Newfoundland and Labrador, best known for performing energetic rock interpretations of traditional Newfoundland folk songs including sea shanties, which draw from the island's 500-year-old Irish, Scottish, and Cornish heritage. While it has been confirmed that the band has officially been retired, former members Alan Doyle and Séan McCann have continued performing in their own solo careers typically including music from Great Big Sea in their setlists.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 23
For anyone else looking for good Celtic music, I'd recommend Loreena McKennitt. Her music isn't strictly folk, as she draws on lots of other musical influences, but it's still worth a listen. Standout songs are The Mummer's Dance, The Journeyman, and The Mystic's Dream, to name a few. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back