Requesting Ideas for New Inventions
Sep 11, 2007 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

patman657

100+ Head-Fier
I have a major project this semester that calls for inventing a new product, but my team is having a very difficult time coming up with something feasible. The requirements are as follows:

1. The product must be sold directly to the consumer, not to a business or as a component for a larger product.
2. The product must be largely material (i.e. it can not be primarily software or some other form of intellectual property).
3. The product must be substantial enough to start a business with. We have to support our business plan with marketing, finance, operations, and information systems data. For instance, it can't be a simple piece of stamped plastic because there is not enough to work with in the operations aspect.
4. The product cannot be too technologically advanced, but a little is OK. We are business students, not engineers.
smily_headphones1.gif

5. No convenience combos; we can't slap a ruler on a cell phone or something like that.
6. No products that would require non-existent infrastructures.

If any of you have ideas, I would be much obliged if you could post them. If a patent already exists for the idea, that's fine, but the product cannot be in production. Also, things that target children or the elderly have historically made for good projects.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 25
Not trying to be a PITA, but isn't this a major component of the project? I assume the project wasn't "solicit good ideas from your favorite internet forum" :wink:

And in the spirit of posting something positive and useful...my father once told me to invent the next nail clipper. Simple, ubiquitous, useful and everybody could use 4 of 'em. Think about what makes these things great inventions: the pencil, the bobby pin, the shoelace, moisture-wicking fabric....

Take advantage of what you know (head-fi?) and exploit that niche!

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 25
i have two.

1. figuring out a way to combine chocolate and peanut butter.

2. creating a device that could be used as a fork and a spoon.

seriously. i'm done with homework.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 25
A fork with a battery in it, so old people with arthritis can still whirl up their spaghetti.

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 25
You ain't stealing my ideas! (if I had any...)

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2. creating a device that could be used as a fork and a spoon.

I don't know if you were serious, but that's long since been in existence. It's called the 'spork'

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You ain't stealing my ideas! (if I had any...)

This was my thought when I first read it.

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiratsuka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you were serious, but that's long since been in existence. It's called the 'spork'

Alas, it doesn't emulate either well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back