Requesting help with vintage Marantz tuner.
Dec 31, 2005 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I just found a vintage Marantz ST325 tuner for a good price ($2
tongue.gif
), and I want to integrate it into my current system. Only problem is that it uses a non-standard power connector. It looks like a 3-prong molex, and is labeled:

Top connector: GND
Middle connector: 15.6V - 120MA
Bottom connector: 11V - 50MA

I suspect that it was designed for use with a Marantz amp. Is there any way to power it without the associated equipment?

Dec 31, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Wow, $17 for a downloaded manual? That's 8.5 times what I paid for the tuner
tongue.gif
Thanks though, if nobody here knows what to do I'll definately order it and rig up something that will work.

Also, does anyone know if this tuner is any good? I did a google search but no good info came up.

Dec 31, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Is there a date on the unit? I sold Marantz starting in 1974. By then they were owed by Superscope. Based on my recollection, prior to Superscope I think that they were a US based company, somewhat along the lines of McIntosh. (You could also check to see where it was manufactured -- US or Japan. If it was US, then it was probably the original Marantz.) One last thought, call a high-end audio dealer and ask them to look in their Blue Book. (Hit a book store and look in the back of Stereophile or Absolute Sound for dealers.) Good luck on your new find.

Dec 31, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 9
Nope, no manufacture date listed. FCC ID is AKE9T21015 & serial is 33U050157 and it was made in Japan if that helps any. This is quite an old unit, but all the PCBs & parts are in tip top shape.

Sadly, no bookstores in my area carry Stereophile or any other audio magazine for that matter. That includes the popular B&N & Books A Million. Fayetteville, NC is seemingly devoid of anyone who cares about audio..

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Top connector: GND
Middle connector: 15.6V - 120MA
Bottom connector: 11V - 50MA

Can you post a picture of the front and back? In my 30 years in audio I do not recall seeing a product with this type of power requirements. It would appear that it was meant to piggyback a matching amp that has power out. I can only imagine that the V stands for voltage and Ma is milliamps. I would also take a wild guess that this is DC??? I am far from an expert so these are simply assumptions.

Here are some phone numbers for stores from Absolute Sound...

Reno Hi-Fi 775-829-7332
Archive Audio (800) 267-2305
Audio Limits 719-633-1369
Audio Connection 973-239-1799

Also could check the yellow pages for Raleigh or Charlotte. Just look for stores selling the pricey separates.

Let me know if these don't work and I'll send more. Good luck. Kent

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Here are some pics. Earlier today I was told at another forum that this was part of a set, and it worked with the Marantz PM225 Amplifier. Hopefully there is some other way to power it, as the PM225s aren't too easy to find..

pc3101697wc.jpg

pc3101718ak.jpg

pc3101725xe.jpg

Thanks for the numbers Alwayswantmore, I'll be calling them Monday
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 9
I stated in the business in 1974. I am quite sure that this was made earlier than that date. Good luck.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 9
I own a marantz pm225 amplifier. I too have a strange male plug on rear end. I can't find any information on the value of this amplifier. Does anyone know? There seem to be plenty of manuals but no amplifiers for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back