Requesting assistance in finding the right portable device
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I have a 32 gig ipod touch (1st generation) and I'm feeling i want an upgrade. Ive had it for countless years, and Im just tired of this thing. It stores album art on the wrong albums, it freezes sometimes, its basically the ipod of the dead. I'm just strapped for storage space too.

I have a budget ot 200-300 dollars (hypothetically speaking). I generally only listen to mp3, although i have most of my library stored in flac and other lossless formats. That would be neet if there was another friendly portable player like my ipod that i could run with and take with me everywhere like i do this one.

Overall i think the most important things are: reliability, durability, (able to be shaken, dropped, or sat on), and huge library size; holds a ton of music (possibly in lossless or mp3?).

Most of the time I listen to it on my desktop, but its nice to not be confined to one space. Its hard for me to see any other digital player atm, but i'll try to be open minded! Btw I have http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-BookBook-leather-Classic/dp/B009ZT25VE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1361403373&sr=8-6&keywords=Bookbook this case. I doubt i'll find another portable player that will fit into it, but i like this one because it holds all my important cards and stuff. It's pretty neet!

I look forwrd to your suggestions!

Btw if it means anything, i have Bose AE 2 audio headphones. So if these arent headphones made to hear the difference of flac then that's just as well. I've already been-there, & done-that with headphone upgrading.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Maybe an iPod classic? It has a 160GB of storage space, longer battery life than your current iPod Touch 1st Gen, and it also is able to play   Lossless files, and is now Rockbox-able. 

The downside is, it probably won't fit in your current case and it also uses harddrive memory opposed to flash memory which is more durable, and is also on the heavier side.

There is also the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip which are very light, so dropping them won't do much. You can also expand the memory by external micro SD cards. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Maybe an iPod classic? It has a 160GB of storage space, longer battery life than your current iPod Touch 1st Gen, and it also is able to play   Lossless files, and is now Rockbox-able. 

The downside is, it probably won't fit in your current case and it also uses harddrive memory opposed to flash memory which is more durable, and is also on the heavier side.

There is also the Sansa Clip+ and Clip Zip which are very light, so dropping them won't do much. You can also expand the memory by external micro SD cards. 

This sounds very interesting. I mean, I could have more than one iPod. That sounds really good. Tell me though, something I think I heard about the hard drive memory is it cannot be shaken. I run a lot and carry the iPod in my hand (I doubt any weight will bother me; it'll be like I was just doing extra strength training heh). As far as flac goes, I don't think my current version of iTunes is compatible with flac. Whether or not iTunes is a good media player or not I mean. It is kind of a bloated piece of software that eats up a lot of my computer's memory, but it works well (when it's not crashing like a bird into a window pain). As far as cost goes, it looks like I'd be good to go.

What is rockbox? The only rockbox I know is the torrent site I download metal discographies from.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
What is rockbox? The only rockbox I know is the torrent site I download metal discographies from.

Rockbox is alternative firmware: www.rockbox.org 

You can load it to a Clip or many iPods. With the Clip it gets you a few nice advanced features; with iPods it lets you play FLAC and escape the Curse Of iTunes.

A 4GB Clip+ is $30 on ebay, the sq is as good as any iPod, and you can format a 64GB micro sd card to FAT and load it straight into the slot on the side, at which point you have a tiny, cheap, high sq 72GB player with a full track and album selection interface (ie not just shuffle play.) 

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 11
So I'm pretty much ready to order this thing. http://www.amazon.com/Apple-classic-Black-Generation-NEWEST/dp/B001F7AHOG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361539615&sr=8-4&keywords=ipod+classic+160+gigs This is the one, right?

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #6 of 11
yes get it, then install rockbox on it, then your good to go, had mine over a year still going strong

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 11
Wait, the iPod holds flac, too, not just apple lossless, right? Does it play all lossless formats? I mean, if the iPod holds more and it lossless compatible, then I think I'm alright. However if it does't, the sansa clip may be a better option and I can return the iPod and actually get the sansa clip + sd card for less money. I mean, I like iPods and stuff, but at the very least of my worries, I do think the sansa clip is a little more primitive looking, yet I presume it would be more durable. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 11
You will have to rockbox it as stated above using emcore.  Do a search there's a thread on it :)

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 11
Whoa, that looks complex. That disclaimer in the rockbox thread is a little scary

Disclaimer
Installing alternative software/firmware on your iPod Classic is not supported by Apple. We are not responsible in any way for any damage you might do to your iPod. If you would like to use EmCORE/Rockbox on your iPod Classic we strongly advise you to carefully read the manuals both here and on freemyipod.org.

Oh jeez

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
You will have to rockbox it as stated above using emcore.  Do a search there's a thread on it :)

In the emcore wiki article it says only ipod classic, g1-g3 is supported. I ordered the g7.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 11
Well I've had it running on my 7g awhile ago (deleted it off for various reasons).  Take a look at the ipod classic rockbox thread for more info.  Would have liked to use it but to many issues for me personally (mac/pc more than anything).

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back