REQUEST: Sticky thread for available PCBs
Apr 20, 2003 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ck42

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this has been discussed already or not but:

I'd really like to see a *home* for all these GREAT DIY pcbs that are being made.

Sometimes, when there's a board I'm interested in, I have difficulty in finding out how/where to get it, and what the latest revision is. Many times, the thread from which the pcb originated, is quite long and trying to make sense of all the updates and whatnot concerning the pcb is kinda a pain.
frown.gif

For all you guys designing and going to the trouble of getting them manufactured, I have to say, you guys rock! Keep up the great work!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 14
I agree It could be handy @ times, but i usually find my way around... just spend 5+ hours on this forum /day (like i have been for the past month)(even though i haven't posted much) and then you'll learn
wink.gif

Tangent's Amps is about the only one i use

DIY amps - might be helpful

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 14
The Hansen board is now pretty much dead(although I heard Tangent might have a few, better alternatives exist).

Browndog adapters seem to be pretty popular, for mono/stereo opamp conversion, and for SMD/DIP8 conversion.

The original thread for Subsonic's mint-tin Gilmore PCB was pulled, but my replacement thread has 30 posts(nothing compared to >100 in the orig tho). We ended up making a forum for issues related to it, and it can be found at gilmore.be.tf.

As mentioned above, Tangent's site is the home of the META42, will very soon be the home of the MINT, and will be the base of operations for the PPA when it is completed.

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

The Hansen board is now pretty much dead(although I heard Tangent might have a few, better alternatives exist).

You mean a few remaining Hansen boards? Yes, there are a few here, but I'm hanging onto them. I may do something with them someday.

None of the three amp boards I'm involved with could be thought of as Hansen replacements. Maybe this board Jiggler's working on may become a basic CMoy-and-varants type experimenter's board, which is what the Hansen became over time. I don't particularly like the A47 design, personally, and I don't wish to return to the CMoy any more. Call me a buffer snob if you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm rambling, but what I'm getting at is that the Hansen idea seems to have been superceded.

Quote:

Subsonic's mint-tin Gilmore PCB

I'd be interested to know if there's going to be a second run of this or not. I was under the impression that it was a one-shot deal.

Quote:

base of operations for the PPA when it is completed.

The distinction between Morsel's site and mine is that hers is about the PPA project, i.e. the effort that will end in a finished board. My site is more about documentation and tutorial issues.

Apr 22, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

I'd be interested to know if there's going to be a second run of this or not. I was under the impression that it was a one-shot deal.

For now I don't think I'll be having any more pcb's made. Just too much *other* things going on at the moment. If I do, it'll probably be during my summer break.

Apr 22, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the clarification, Tangent.

In other news, Peranders is now selling boards for his SMD amp.

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Here

Of course, the manufacturers/suppliers of the boards have to kick in a few $ to Jude for allowing them to use his bandwidth to sell their goods.

This should be no problem to the manufacturers/suppliers because they have no other overhead to pay:
- No workman's comp
- No insurance
- No advertising or promotion
- No mortgage
- Etc..

Hell, you don't even have to pay the person who DESIGNS your board and holds your hand while you try to manufacture it!

ok,
erix

Apr 22, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Hell, you don't even have to pay the person who DESIGNS your board and holds your hand while you try to manufacture it!

Bitter about something, erix? C'Mon, let it out.

As someone who's been on both sides of this issue (holding others' hands, having my hand held) I don't find any problems with the system we find ourselves with.

Projects that are interesting continue to production, those that are derivative, esoteric or dull get ignored and die a quiet death. The volunteer labor must get something out of it that makes it worthwhile to them, else they wouldn't volunteer. Those that produce the boards make a profit to cover their investment and time involved in fulfulling orders. Those that buy the boards get a better product than they could produce on their own for the same cost.

What's wrong with this system?

Apr 23, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 14
Erix: This isn't only a place for people to sell their boards, it is a guide among people who use or are looking at using their boards. This falls under providing information to DIYers.

As long as Tangent doesn't go into much detail(Him bringing up his own site might be a problem, but he merely clarified my comment) and people make an effort to expand this thread into ANY available PCBs, I don't see any problem with this thread. Do you?

The 'list all headphone amps you know of' thread would be advertising if a builder decided to post all his designs, but if he is merely saying something like "I don't make that amp, another company does" about someone else's mistaken comment, where's the conflict?

Apr 23, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 14
gah..

Apr 23, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 14
Getting around to linking and listing:

PerAnder's page I mentioned before. He stocks PCBs for his designs:

QRV-04 SMD headphone amp, available soon
QRV01 headphone amp
QRV02 headphone amp
QSXPS power supply
QSXM2 phono amp
QSXM3 phono amp

Antness' site has PCBs for the Gilmore Dynamic headamp and the Gilmore Ultrareg power supply(The only place I have seen a PCB for this). He also sells kits.

Teucer initiated a thread about the KGSS, including files for one if you want to get it made yourself(this was to take advantage of a free offer whose terms no longer encompass those files).

PPL, Morsel, Tangent, and KurtW's unfinished PPA has a project page here. "There is no ETA on the boards as it will take months to complete development." -from that page

Tangent's site(linked by techsmarty above) has the project page for the META42 in addition to being the source for PCBs. The MINT, a smaller jung multiloop amp with a simpler power supply(IE similar but somewhat inferior to the META42), has a project page there and will soon have PCBs available. I believe that is where the PPA PCB will be available when it is finished. He is also the source for PCBs of the Modified Linkwitz Crossfeed design, project page here.

ESP sells several of their many, many projects, notably the Death of Zen(DoZ) Headphone Amplifier.

Although with his new website I'm not sure which projects he has kits for, Jan Meier had several kits available(I think the HA-1 was the most popular), last time I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back