Request: Help me choose my next IEM's, where to from Ety HF2s?
Oct 30, 2010 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

koopak

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

First up, let me quickly state my audio experiences:

Grado SR80: Warm, friendly, good level of bass and treble detail, seem quite smooth, too loud for public use, possibly lacking in fine detail, very uncomfortable for long-term wear.

Etymotic HF2: Accurate (almost analytical, bordering on anaemic), lacking in bass (to the point of being unfaithful to the original), when pushed seem to become quite treble-heavy, but I can be confident that I can hear everything that is there in the music, except, I can't shake the feeling that upper treble and lower bass are completely missing, which has pushed me towards triple IEMs. Excellent isolation, good comfort (with foam tips), but now broken (cable broke internally at jack). Microphone is WAY too quiet, everyone I call goes "what? I can't hear you!"

Sennheiser CX300: Fun, bassy, smooth, unrefined, comfortable, ultimate jogging canalphones despite microphonics (wish I hadn't given these away in anticipation of HF2, seriously good value for $30 off ebay!)

So now I am seeking to spend between $300 and $600 for some good canalphones, probably triple diaphragm iems. From reading these forums, it seems I will enjoy Westone UM3Xs, but I am open to other suggestions. Here are my issues:

1) I want to get a custom fit earphone, after a trip to an audiologist, where should I go to get this and can it be had (for a reasonable price) in combination with the UM3X?
2) I do a lot of work in noisy (club) environments, and I fear hearing damage, but when I wear $2 earplugs, I can't hear anyone speak (unacceptable). Is there any earplugs (hopefully custom fit, maybe even the ones that go with the UM3X) that will preferentially penalise non-vocal sounds (kill anything above 4khz?).
3) I live in Australia, but I am travelling to the USA in Jan/Feb, is there anywhere local or somewhere in the USA where I can get customs made quickly and easily (New York / Chicago / San Francisco / Las Vegas)?
4) Microphone: I really would like the convenience of having a microphone like on the HF2, and maybe some volume/pause buttons like the HF3, but with a mic that actually works and on headphones with a richer (but still accurate) sound. Does anyone do a custom cable for the UM3X, or is there another combined product I should really be looking at?

Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back