Request from a novice, good choice headphones for mp3 player under $200
Nov 5, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 30
i use the dt231 in a computer lab with about 50 pc's running, and full of people, and the d231 provide enough isolation for me (i modified them by putting sticky tack in the earcups to dampen reflected sound and give more isolation). much more so than grados. for riding the bus you'll need more isolation than the dt231. plus the dt231 has really nice clean bass. i prefer them to the larger cans like the 250 or even the sony v6 because they're light, comfy and i can pop them on my neck when i want to take them off. the sq is really good for the price.

Nov 5, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 30
Most importantly is that you spend the whole $200.
580smile.gif

Or go 50/50 and get a little amp.

Buying 2nd hand, off here or eBay will increase your RRP limit. Something like the Beyerdynamic DT770? They're known for lots of bass.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #18 of 30
First off, i sent you a PM...
Second, how come no one has offered any AKG's or Grados??
Closed?-AKG 271's (Beyer 280 are nice too-but I believe they require and AMP-somone pls correct me if im wrong).
OPEN?-Grados...grab a pair of HF-1 while there are still a couple left!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think there are less than twenty....I could type for hours on why you should go open (which is why I PMed u my #); you will not lose any bass response with an open phone.
If you dont have people around that will be bothered by sound leakage-go open, no questions asked.
The smartest move would be to "try" a sound signature firat and upgrade later. So, id say-Grado sr-80 now-($95-money well spent)see if you like em, and upgrade later like the rest of us
tongue.gif

Especially for your types of music; I have KORN, Deftones and Ministry pounding through my head all day
biggrin.gif
and nothing kicks like a Grado!

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Most importantly is that you spend the whole $200.
580smile.gif

Yes yes! Thats the idea....after a $99 MS1, he still have $101 for an IEM like er6i or a little amp.
tongue.gif

In short, BUY! BUY! BUY! And i'm happy for his wallet!
etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Second, how come no one has offered any AKG's or Grados??

You did not read my previous post?
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Yes yes! Thats the idea....after a $99 MS1, he still have $101 for an IEM like er6i or a little amp.
tongue.gif

In short, BUY! BUY! BUY! And i'm happy for his wallet!
etysmile.gif

You did not read my previous post?
eek.gif

My bad buddy.
I like the sr-60 with er6i move-its a solid call.
Best of both worlds, quality equipment and terrfiic starting points.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

My bad buddy.
I like the sr-60 with er6i move-its a solid call.
Best of both worlds, quality equipment and terrfiic starting points.

Nah, i'm just kidding you cos you seem so work up by that RS2 thread.
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

First off, i sent you a PM...

I could type for hours on why you should go open (which is why I PMed u my #); you will not lose any bass response with an open phone.<snip>
If you dont have people around that will be bothered by sound leakage-go open, no questions asked.

Thanks for the info I won't be so scared to try open models now, I guess I was passing on the Grados (don't laugh) but mainly because I didn't like the "look" of them, they almost look as if the ear piece would be ON vs Around the ear and maybe not as comfortable for longer listening, as for the open type where people could hear around you thats not a biggie, mainly i listen to music by myself or later at night when kids are asleep etc...

SO many choices....but thanks again bigtime to everyone who has chimed in on the thread.

Bill
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FTLOSM
I guess I was passing on the Grados (don't laugh) but mainly because I didn't like the "look" of them, they almost look as if the ear piece would be ON vs Around the ear and maybe not as comfortable for longer listening, as for the open type where people could hear around you thats not a biggie, mainly i listen to music by myself or later at night when kids are asleep etc...

SO many choices....but thanks again bigtime to everyone who has chimed in on the thread.

Bill
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol, Grados look like a half-arsed attempt to find the easiest way to bolt two drivers together.

I'm never getting any Grados.
GradoPain.jpg

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #24 of 30
Just my 2 cents here. One way to stretch the money you have---Sennheiser px100's are great sounding portables for 40-45 bucks.They sound better and better after burn in. Also,the Audio Technica es5 are fantastic sounding at 69 dollars. I own both and they work very well with my wifes I-River.Others have mentioned Grados and I totally concur with that choice. Have fun and good luck ! I have other larger cans but I love the two choices I mentioned for mp3 players. Check out this link if interested in the Audio Technicas for $69 dollars.Hope I'm not over stepping the boundaries by posting this link.
http://www.igearbox.com/product_info...roducts_id=200

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #25 of 30
Speaking to the boss (wife) about headphones etc she asked what I found and how much, I said there were a few things I had in mind and I was gonna try to stay under $200, she looked at me all weird, thinking my limit would be much higher!

SO I do have some play room here, and these are the two I have thought of looking harder at

Sennheiser HD 595 vs HD 600

This is what I am thinking and a few questions I have that hopefully you guys can clear up.

Given that I have a few more $$$ to spend and I want to try and get a nice set of full sized headphones that will also be used in the future with my home stereo setup and the mp3 player as well as my pc and other future electroics, I basically figured I should buy a nicer set that hopefully will keep me happy for a while (beyond the needs of the mp3 player yet not a $10,000 set).

These are the two I am finding lots of "good talk" about on review sites etc and are within my extended new budget.

I will still get the Beye 231's for road trips and fun... but back the senn's here are my questions and concerns between these two models...

Sennheiser HD 595 vs HD 600

Which one would be best suited for use (for now) with a Rio S50 with consideration of future use as my main home theater home pc home stereo system headphones.

I have read that 595's came in 50 ohm & 120 ohm versions and the 600's are 300 ohm is this correct and exactly what does all that ohm talk meat to me?

Will a 300 ohm HD600 require more power than my standard Rio S50 can put out (resulting in bad or extreme limited sound), will this hurt my hd600's if I use 300 ohm units on a portable Rio S50?

I am not mr technical but the info and reviews for the 595 and 600's really peak my interest, the 600s have the mini jack where the 595s i would have to put the adaptor on etc, so i am leaning towards the 600's yet wasnt sure on all the technical stuff in terms of my S50's output power and or if it would hurt them or result in bad sound due to their 300 ohm ratings...

Thanks again to all for any and all suggestions advice and input as to what suits me best for my current plan and hopefully keep me happy as my system grows.

Bill

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 30
Using your Rio with HD600s wouldn't hurt them, but you'd be utilising less of their potential. HD580s are virtually 600s and substantially cheaper.

Getting an amp with the money saved by going the 580 route could work then, a PA2V2?

I know a lot of people on here, me included, love their HD580s in an inappropriate way!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 30
I own the 50 ohm 595's...Some love these and some dislike them. If you purchase a pair,be sure to give them a good 300 hour burn in before you judge them.They sound very congested new out of the box and they eventually open up more.They can be driven without an amp with decent sound okay.My Gilmore Lite has wonderful synergy with the 595's.I really like these cans a lot and listen to plenty of rock with them.They are not dynamic or overly bright like Grados...just very smooth sounding.....

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #28 of 30
bill,
once you start looking at headphones like the hd600 you should be considering an amp, unless your home reciever has a really good headphone out like a marantz.

your diminishing marginal returns are much steeper with a higher and can sans amp.

i think you'll enjoy the beyers. if not, tyll has a good return policy.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #29 of 30
Finally based on budget reviews budget more reviews and a bit on looks, I have made my decisions, (all of which will be for sale within 6 months as I upgrade LOL)...

Senn HD595s and a PAV2 amp from Gary and most likely a set of Beye DT231's for times when I travel.

Anyone got the lowdown on where to order the 595's for the best price?

I saw compuplus.com had them at a pretty low price, says new in box with 2 yrs manufact warr etc etc, will Senn honor the warranty if purchased from compuplus since there is a big difference in price vs other places?

Bill

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #30 of 30
Spent some time with HeadRoom and got a set of Senn 595's ordered up and in route, also attempted to add the Beye 231's but they were out of stock for 7-10 business days and that would delay my order seriously, being a big kid and not able to wait, I went with the Senn EH250's for portable use as an alternative, hope they are in the same quality range of the Beye 231's.

Also ordered up an amp from Gary (the PAV2) @ electric avenues, I am hoping that combo of the 595's and the PAV2 will make my Rio sing!

Thanks again everyone for input and advice on what to look for try or do, I DO appreciate it and now can't wait to get my new toys...

Bill
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back