Request for Foobar 0.9 Custom Configs
May 30, 2006 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I hate foobar. At least it's user-unfriendliness. How can an otherwise incredible and flexible player be so flawed? I was able to mod 0.8 to a satsifactory level, but starting over from scratch with 0.9, with many new problems, is more time than I can justify.

I ask those of you who have successfully updated to the latest version and who would be willing to share the configuration with those of us at Head-Fi who have the same taste to post a screenshot of your 0.9 custom config. It would save us a ton of time who have not yet upgraded and who perhaps lack the technical expertise and codewriting skills. Personally, I'm looking for something with AlbumArt, detailed description of the file info, and a dark background.

May 30, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Its not great but:
foorbath.jpg

I have about 70 fcs' and a big old components folder if you want me to upload them later? Actually they're small, I could email them later...

Notice no blue bars, I'm using the fullscreen plugin.

The components folder is 9.45MBs.

May 30, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 12
I could never understand why there is not a downloads area of foobar config's somewhere. I expect many have difficulty with setting it up while others would gladly share (and show-off) their work. I am sure it would attract alot more users.

May 30, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 12
On the hydrogenaudio foobar board there is always a 'whats your foobar look like' thread, only occasionally if you ask you might get the configuration.

There should be mark-up to upload cfgs and fcs' like theres 'code' mark-up.

May 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Agreed, I wish foobar2000 was a lot more user friendly, honestly I love the program but it's an absolute pain to setup, and requires a ton of time.

May 30, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
Agreed, I wish foobar2000 was a lot more user friendly, honestly I love the program but it's an absolute pain to setup, and requires a ton of time.

The one big advantage of foobar is that its so CPU unintensive, i.e. it only uses what you install. You'd don't put plugins in that you don't use. Above that it is only not user-friendly if you decide to change things that you couldn't on other media players.
I don't know many that allow you into the code.

Find any number of guides and get a perefectly functioning foobar. foobar is not for the unsure computer-user or computer illiterate.

May 30, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I could never understand why there is not a downloads area of foobar config's somewhere. I expect many have difficulty with setting it up while others would gladly share (and show-off) their work. I am sure it would attract alot more users.

My sentiments exactly. Maybe I'll create such a website, but until then, I hope more will follow Chri5's example and be willing to post a pic and share.

Btw Chri5, most of the guides of which you speak aren't up to date with 0.9. Also, there comes a point where setting up Foobar doesn't just demand someone familar with computers, but a programmer. String editing requires knowledge of whatever logical system it's based off of, and really only people in IT or kids with too much time know it. Eg, while I know my way around Window's OS' pretty well since I've been using them for over a decade, I have no idea how to code. I really dont want to be classified as computer illiterate!
tongue.gif

May 30, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Btw Chri5, most of the guides of which you speak aren't up to date with 0.9. Also, there comes a point where setting up Foobar doesn't just demand someone familar with computers, but a programmer. String editing requires knowledge of whatever logical system it's based off of, and really only people in IT or kids with too much time know it. Eg, while I know my way around Window's OS' pretty well since I've been using them for over a decade, I have no idea how to code. I really dont want to be classified as computer illiterate!
tongue.gif

Things that require intensive knowledge of coding are not critical. You can get a workable version of foobar running without it.

The guides are for earlier foobars, but its all pretty similar. I set up my 0.9 with a guide. The two main things you need to do are set up 'Columns UI' and fill your 'Albumlist'.

Hydrogenaudio has specific foobar boards which are a good source of knowledge.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 12
I think we may have different definitions of "intensive" and "workable" :b

I found my setup for 0.8 to be a lot of trial and error before it got to a point I found acceptable. I started to fool around with album art for 0.9 after getting the new columns UI but have been unable to get it to appear in the list of tabs (when right clicking on an empty part of the interface). While I'd be happy if the answer is simple (and do tell me if it is), but the fact that it's not already functioning after reading several walkthrough sites makes it a time consuming process. And that's where the problem lies. Most people won't switch to foobar because it's ugly and not particularly powerful out of the box, and it takes a small eternity to satisfactorily set up. If we had a lovely collection of user-made samples, I think more people would give foobar a shot since they would have a much prettier and more personal base from which to tweak to perfection. We could go back and forth over just how complex or easy to set up given the amount of information available, but I think the bottom line is it adds up to a lot of time either way. At least, time is the bottom line for me (albeit, the length of this post suggests I have a sufficient amount of it at the moment).

Btw, what's the most efficient way of transferring a full setup? Would it require zipping up the entire foobar? Are there any things one would do well to leave out while sending their foobar to another to save space, remove personal playlists, etc?

May 31, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 12
scrnshot0lo.jpg

Mine kind of looks like this. Essentially a modified blackwhitered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back