Request for CD recommendations.
Mar 1, 2003 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
I was reading that awful Rolling Stone Magazine about Avril Lavagne, and started to realize that even though I'm an avid Modern Rock/Hardcore/Punk, I don't know my roots. I got Elvis costello's newest CD today at the library, although it's not my favorite I have hear he has changed over the years and will be listening to his older ones. ANYWAYS, I'm just trying to get some new music that is acctually original.Mainly good bands from the early punk movement, early ska, early hardcore, and also bands like Nirvana, bands that revitalized and reinvened there respective genre. If any of you know what I'm talking about I'd love a response.

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 21
Top Classic Punk CDs

SEX PISTOLS - Nevermind the Bullocks (punk bible, god save the queen)
BUZZCOCKS - Operators Manual (singles going steady plus more)
CLASH - Clash 1 (yes better vs London Calling)
CLASH - Story of the Clash (greatest hits)
RAMONES - Anthology (2CD all the good stuff)
X-RAY SPEX - Anthology (bondage, up yours!)
SPECIALS - Specials 1 (ska bible)
DOA - Bloodied but unbowed
MISFITS - Collection 1 (early american horror punk, Danzig!)
DEVO - Greatest Hits
DAMNED - Damned, Damned (new rose)
DEAD BOYS - Young loud snotty (Stiv Bators, sonic reducer)

Mar 1, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 21
My favorite punk band :

Misfits

Get both collection 1 and 2 CDs. You can get the rest if you like it.

My Favorite Hardcore band :

Minor Threat

Get the Complete Discography CD, and you have everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 21
off the top of my head:

Black Flag
early SSD
Negative FX
Gang Green
early DYS
Jerry's Kids
the first Suicidal Tendencies album (EP?)

... and don't forget the European/non-US bands too (Raw Power, Rattus, Cheetah Chrome Motherf**kers etc). heard that the legendary BCT (Borderless Countries Tapes) comps from the 80s are being reissued on cd as well, so check those out if you see them. so much good stuff, so little time (and money). *sigh*

Mar 1, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 21
Not early by any means, but check out No Means No.

A Canadian jazz trio turned punk... sometimes a bit heavy-handed on the message, but they did nevertheless have a sense of humor. I saw them live in the early 90s and bought all their recordings at the end of the show. Great songs played by incredible musicians.

Mar 1, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 21
If you can find anything by the Telescopes, they are worth checking out. Very sort of sex pistols-esque.

Mar 3, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 21
DarkAngel had some good suggestions. I'd list them a bit differently, though:

Punk Rock Necessities
  1. The Clash, The Clash (1977): In my opinion, more essential than anything from the Sex Pistols. The Pistols were all attitude, but The Clash was all music.
  2. The Ramones, Ramones Mania (1988): A good compilation that spans the career of one of the originals.
  3. The Sex Pistols, Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (1977): Okay, I guess it is important.
  4. Rancid, And Out Come the Wolves (1995): The best of the '90s punk revival. By far.
Check out the AMG All Music Guide for information on other bands in the punk genre; from here you can go anywhere, whether it's Richard Hell or the Pixies or Bad Religion.

Classic rock's a bit harder -- it's not really a genre, but an amalgamation of a lot of different music. Here are what I consider to be the most important pieces of the more straight-up rock:

Classic Rock Essentials
  1. The Beatles, The Beatles [The White Album] (1968): Arguably one of the most important albums in rock & roll -- but you can't argue that it defined what classic rock would become.
  2. Led Zeppelin, all albums (1969-1979): Pick one -- you'll realize why they're the band everyone else followed.
  3. The Doors, The Doors (1967): The debut album from one of the other most influential bands of the time; you really don't know what the Doors are all about until you listen to one of their albums.
  4. The Rolling Stones, Forty Licks (2002): The new SACD remaster of the biggest hits from the band that put out the biggest hits.
  5. The Who, Who's Next (1971): The best album from one of the most classic of classic rock bands.
  6. Black Sabbath, Paranoid (1971): The birth of metal.
  7. AC/DC, High Voltage (1976): Great stuff -- an obvious link between what came before and what was to come.
  8. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon (1973): A different direction in rock, this is probably the seminal album in the prog-rock genre.
There are lots of others, of course, but I think those'll give you a good taste of what you're looking for.

kerely

Mar 3, 2003 at 9:36 AM Post #11 of 21
Here's my suggestions:

The Clash - The Clash: Yeah there's a reason so many people are recommending this album: no one can really pin down what punk is but The Clash is definitely it. The only Clash album you'll ever really need, but no music collection is really complete without it. Plus you can wax cool by dropping Joe Strummer references in passing conversation.

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat: The most underappreciated of VU's albums is also, in my opinion, their best work. Its a headtrip, its unexpected, and it throws the rules out the window. This is where the Underground stops being Warhol's creation and set trends that bands 30 years later still can't beat. John Cale's masterpiece, and that Lou Reed guy ain't bad either.

The Who - A Quick One: Who's Next is very good but A Quick One is chaos. Pure, wonderful chaos.

The Stooges - Raw Power: Basically what Punk/Hardcore/Whatever is supposed to sound like. There's the Bowie produced version thats ass, the new Iggy set which is damned good. Little rawer, lots more power.

Greg Oblivian and Knaughty Knights' stuff is good if challenging to listen to. Same goes for Richard Hell and The Voltoids, all harder stuff thats much better than most can hear. You've really gotta love triphammers and regressive (lack of ********) rock and roll to dig hard on it.

Since you like Costello's current music you really need to hear My Aim is True. This opens the door to Rock and Roll with atypical songwriting, which is a whole other list of recomendations:

Try as much of Eric Burdon's stuff as humanly possible (Animals, War, his personal releases) as he's influenced more artists than can be counted, yet sadly hasn't been acknowledged as he should be (right up there with Reed and Iggy and Bowie in my opinion). Its easy to fall hard into this stuff, and once you do a lot of music sounds like a bad imitation.

Arthur Lee's stuff is gold, if you can pick up Love - Da Capo (get the mono version, yes its on digital) and Forever Changes. Can't really go wrong with the band's stuff, and while its very different than the recommendations in the begining of this thread its also very relevant if you really want to learn/hear rock and roll.

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Top Classic Punk CDs

SEX PISTOLS - Nevermind the Bullocks (punk bible, god save the queen)
BUZZCOCKS - Operators Manual (singles going steady plus more)
CLASH - Clash 1 (yes better vs London Calling)
CLASH - Story of the Clash (greatest hits)
RAMONES - Anthology (2CD all the good stuff)
X-RAY SPEX - Anthology (bondage, up yours!)
SPECIALS - Specials 1 (ska bible)
DOA - Bloodied but unbowed
MISFITS - Collection 1 (early american horror punk, Danzig!)
DEVO - Greatest Hits
DAMNED - Damned, Damned (new rose)
DEAD BOYS - Young loud snotty (Stiv Bators, sonic reducer)

Top 1990's "true" Punk Revival

PENNYWISE - Pennywise I + About Time + Land of Free
RANCID - Out Come the Wolves + Lets Go
NOFX - Punk in Drublic + Pump up the Vallium

These groups are direct decendents of original punk movement in style and sound, also there are endless amounts of punk pop MTV type acts in 1990's which can also be enjoyable like Blink 182, Offspring, Green Day etc.

Mar 3, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 21
Classic Rock/Hard Rock 1970-90
I will not go into Beatles, Zep, Who, Stones etc since we all know these........also this list may be more hard rock oriented.

BLACK SABBATH - 1st three albums are essential (Iomi is the real genius here).
AC/DC - Highway to Hell + Back in Black (among many good albums, this is just basic pub rock at its best.)
KISS - Platinum (good summation of Kiss movement)
DEEP PURPLE - Greatest Hits (smoke on water, women from tokyo)
RAINBOW - Best Of (Dio, man from silver mt)
NY DOLLS - Rock n Roll (excellent trashy glam rock)
HEARTBREAKERS - LAMF (Johnny Thunders, launched Strokes etc)
JUDAS PRIEST - Stained Class + Painkiller (Halford & Co have many classic albums that just plain rock)
IRON MAIDEN - Number of Beast + Piece of Mind
METALLICA - Ride Lightning + Master of Puppets (when they were good)
MEGADETH - Peace Sells + Rust in Peace (kicked Metallica's can in late 1980's)
GUNS n ROSES - Appetite for Destruction (Axel is a jerk, but this is great stuff)
WASP - WASP I + Last Command (best example of west coast scence, Blackie Lawless)
TOM PETTY - Dam the Torpedos + Hard Promises
SPRINGSTEEN - River + Darkness Edge of Town (when he really was the BOSS)
VAN HALEN - Van Halen I (Diamond Dave + Co at their peak)
CULT - Singles 1984-95 + Love
U2 - Boy + Best of 1980-90
REM - Murmur + Eponymous greatest hits 1980's
BOWIE - Ziggy Stardust + Changesonebowie

Many Many more, also huge number of groups that are in the alternative rock grouping that requires new list.

Mar 3, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 21
I second Rammstein.

Also: If mentioned before, then I apologize.

Bad Religion (Anything up to Stranger Than Fiction/All Ages, including Process of Belief)

Pennywise (really good So-Cal band).

Blood for Blood (might be a bit angry for you, but still a good band)

Ramones, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, TSOP, Descendants, etc. all good bands

Old school Metallica. Up to the Black Album, althoguh some people will say Justice for All. Anything after blows chunks.

Iron Maiden. Good band. Good guitar work too.

I'm not gonna name albums...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back