Request Assistance Choosing an Amp
Feb 19, 2019 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

maggiesbrother

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - New Headfier here,

Really gotten a lot out of reading the posts on the fora here and was hoping someone with more knowledge on amps could provide some assistance.

In looking on the various threads i've seen a number of amp recommendations for Sennheiser HD650s - I'm looking to pair some 650s with an amp that allows there sound to come through. I currently have a Burson Soloist, which I really like for my AKG 702s but not the Senns. I'd like to have two set-ups with different sonic profiles to switch between depending on music or mood.

Based on what I have seen here, the Woo Audio A6 or a Bottlehead Crack would work the best, but looking for something a little less pricey - going for something used as well to save money. Currently thinking either a used Schiit Valhalla or Antique Sound Lab MG Head MkIII DT (possibly HiFiman EF5?), and have heard favorable things about both in reference to the HD650s.

I'd be interested in hearing people's experience with these specific amps and the HD650. That said, if i'm missing the mark, please tell me. Thanks

edit - source is 90% vinyl and probably 50/50(ish) Rock and Jazz

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid less pricey than a Crack and not half bad.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Really gotten a lot out of reading the posts on the fora here and was hoping someone with more knowledge on amps could provide some assistance.

In looking on the various threads i've seen a number of amp recommendations for Sennheiser HD650s - I'm looking to pair some 650s with an amp that allows there sound to come through. I currently have a Burson Soloist, which I really like for my AKG 702s but not the Senns. I'd like to have two set-ups with different sonic profiles to switch between depending on music or mood.

Based on what I have seen here, the Woo Audio A6 or a Bottlehead Crack would work the best, but looking for something a little less pricey - going for something used as well to save money. Currently thinking either a used Schiit Valhalla or Antique Sound Lab MG Head MkIII DT (possibly HiFiman EF5?), and have heard favorable things about both in reference to the HD650s.

I'd be interested in hearing people's experience with these specific amps and the HD650. That said, if i'm missing the mark, please tell me. Thanks

I don't think the amp is your problem. The Soloist is driving them both just fine, and the reason why they don't sound that different to you is because they're not that drastically different other than the size of the K702's soundstage (assuming the recording was done properly). The HD650 only sterotypically sounds like what most people say about it if you have old pads on it and wear it tight. Otherwise you're not putting much emphasis on the differences to make for a wide enough gap vs the K702.

The WA6 will just be slightly less warm overall but still not sharp at the treble on both, so in the end, they still wouldn't be different enough, as both will just sound slightly different vs being driven by the Burson.

Bottlehead Crack and Valhalla have lower power output for the K702 and have higher impedance that will make the AKG sound like a tin can or a bloated mess. Using it just for the HD650 however will not guarantee that the Crack will be drastically better than the Burson and if anything the Valhalla2 might even make it sound closer to the HD650 bring driven by the Burson.

I'd be more inclined to recommend replacing the HD650. Alternately...why not just sell it and just use the K702? As much as I use Sennheisers I don't see anything wrong with using the AKG, and you have the Soloist, meaning if I didn't have to take into consideration the lower sensitivity and impedance of AKGs, I wouldn't have a strong preference for the Sennheisers.

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 7
Great - thanks for the reaponses guys. I had looked at the CTH as an option but based on what I was reading, it didn't seem like it would be all that different from my current set up.

Protege - Good to know I'm not crazy in thinking the HD650 and K702 didn't sound that different. And yes, I mainly noticed the wider soundstage and greater detail of the 702s. I assumed the HD650s would be different with a different amp, but if not, I'll save my money.

Love the 702s' sound but my main gripe is the fit - I think the HD650 has it all over them for comfort. I've heard the 712s rectify the fit issue but not sure it's worth the extra money just for that(?).

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Protege - Good to know I'm not crazy in thinking the HD650 and K702 didn't sound that different. And yes, I mainly noticed the wider soundstage and greater detail of the 702s. I assumed the HD650s would be different with a different amp, but if not, I'll save my money.

It can be if you use something that will pile on distortion that piles onto the differences of the response, like how a Little Dot Mk2 will make it sound darker (especially once the pads are really broken in or you wear them tighter) just as much as something like an O2 will make the K702 seem brighter. Still it makes more sense to just get a different headphone and use the same amp that will otherwise drive practically anything short of electrostats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back