Request: A Song to Test L/R Loudness
Nov 22, 2010 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TLDMan

Head-Fier
Not sure where to put this thread; this seems like the best place.

I'm pretty sure my headphones have a slight imbalance (not too bad, only about 15% louder in one ear I'd say.) However, it's quite annoying. I want to know if it's the headphones, my ears, or the source that is causing the imbalance, but since it's so slight and most music is stereo, it's a little hard to tell exactly what the problem is. Does anyone know of an audio file (don't care if it's a song) that could be useful in figuring this out? Thanks.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 9
"Lost in the Supermarket" by the Clash has a guitar line that goes from one ear to the other. I'm not sure if you should be using a song to test L/R balance, though, but it's not like an appropriate song won't do the trick.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
"Lost in the Supermarket" by the Clash has a guitar line that goes from one ear to the other. I'm not sure if you should be using a song to test L/R balance, though, but it's not like an appropriate song won't do the trick.

Thanks, I'll try it out. And it doesn't have to be a song, an audio file that either stays completely mono or has a part that goes one ear to the other or whatever would do the trick. I'm not sure if there's designated audio for this situation.

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 9
The best way to test this is with a MONO song. Any mono song will do. You should have everything coming from the dead center. If it's off, either it's not a mono song or you have an imbalance.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Another method is to unplug one of the inputs of your amp. Using a cheap Y-splitter plug both inputs into the same channel.

This is also useful to eliminate the source as the source of the offset.

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 9
Download Audacity, a free audio editor, and generate noise or tones. Matter of minutes.

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
The best way to test this is with a MONO song. Any mono song will do. You should have everything coming from the dead center. If it's off, either it's not a mono song or you have an imbalance.

1+ Also it might be your ears....supposedly I hear slightly better in the left O-o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back