Reques: Xperia Z3 vs dedicated DAP experiences
Feb 15, 2015 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Whitigir

Member of the Trade: Portable Modder
Hello.

Please spare me with all the "smartphone can not compare to dedicated DAP" thank you.

As the thread said. Please, if anyone happen to own any portable DAP as Fiio or anything else and Z3, share me the comparisions on them ?

I requested this as I recently know Z3 has a built in Equalizer hardware wise, I figure it must be getting closer to average dedicated DAP Without the need for Amplifier if you use it with sensitive IEMs.

Please take the discussion on hardware and doubts in the other thread, as i only want the comparisions between DAPS against Z3. Thank you

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 18
So I decided to purchase a Top Of The Line DAP to compare to my smartphone Z3 which was thought out to be one of the best Smartphone for music out there. I personally tested many IP6/+, note 4, Note 3 as latest devices.

Well, my ZX2 is 26 hours burnt in. All I can say is this TOTL DAP is world apart from the smartphone Z3. Everything is more transparent, every notes and tones have more power. I am having a hard time understanding what people would describe as "noise floor". I have heard no humming, or noises from Z3.

The z3, music seems to be more congested, and not as transparent....details and notes have not enough power to make it feel like impactful hence a lot of decays and subtles details (instruments resonances, extensions) are lacking or being muded up by other notes. Soundstage is also very little in comparision biggrin.gif...drum beats and cymbal hits are not quiet as thick.

When I talk about the power , it is not the output power of loudness, but rather it is the ohms of each music notes and tones !

I am not so sure if the electrical interference has any affects on any all in one unit as I have not owned any....

But my conclusion from Z3 , which I thought was to be good audiophile phone, sound quality is pale in comparision to ZX2. On the ZX2 I hear instruments, on Z3 I only hear music

If you have anymore questions, shoot away :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 18
Were they volumed matched?
Did you do a/b testing?

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 18
Yes, a/b testing. Volumes match would be impossible .... As they have volumes indicator too different from each other. I did however turned the volume up in 70-80% of my tolerable loudness. All sound enhancements are off, same IEMS, FX750! On the same tracks, and any more 16/48 and 16/44.1

Now, the Zx2 is only 1/4 way of it recommended burn in :D

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 18
Yes, a/b testing. Volumes match would be impossible .... As they have volumes indicator too different from each other. I did however turned the volume up in 70-80% of my tolerable loudness. All sound enhancements are off, same IEMS, FX750! On the same tracks, and any more 16/48 and 16/44.1

Now, the Zx2 is only 1/4 way of it recommended burn in
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739481/easiest-way-to-volume-match-during-a-a-b-comparison/15#post_10987514

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 18

If I am not mistaken, that is one DAP as 5s vs two differet headphones, where as in this case it is two different devices What I did was to turn on at the volumes I feel comfortable, and a few more on both.

Z3 is at 75% and ZX2 is at 40% roughly for the same loudness

I can almost guaranteed despite volumes matches, the differences is day and night, and can clearly be observed

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 18
If I am not mistaken, that is one DAP as 5s vs two differet headphones, where as in this case it is two different devices What I did was to turn on at the volumes I feel comfortable, and a few more on both.

Z3 is at 75% and ZX2 is at 40% roughly for the same loudness

I can almost guaranteed despite volumes matches, the differences is day and night, and can clearly be observed

You can still do the same thing to volume match the DAPS, anyways...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UrG29RXxlfc
skip to around the middle of the video

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 18
You can still do the same thing to volume match the DAPS, anyways...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UrG29RXxlfc
skip to around the middle of the video

Too much problems :xf_eek: allows me to skip it ......and I sold my Z3 lol.....don't have a phone now, probably gonna look for a cheap flip up phone or so!

The sound quality is distinctively different from both devices. I can say if good music on the go only, you will love Z3 quality....but if you are the type to spend more than couple hundreds for a pair of IEMS....you care bout sound quality, then any Dedicated DAP will always sound better than Z3.

you can try the cheaper one A15-17 or some cheaper Fiio if you really love musics, and I mean you also have 16/44.1 or higher tracks available. If MP3 is ur needs, then don't bother :D

If you wonder what the differences are in general...I will say

Subtles details, decays, instruments resonances, beats Impacts, notes impacts, tonality accuracy, instrument placements or sound stages.....yes, you can hear all these from any mobile phones if you really try to, and pay attentions. It will be like looking at a DVD quality movie vs Bluray quality. You will see and hear all those, but blurry, and won't be as sharp or satisfying :cool:

Now, I answered this part for my own curiosity. You can always try it out yourself...I am not sure if A15-17 will be that much of a differences, but If you are like me, love music enough, and have good files.....always wondered and seek for a good audiophile phone....my answer is for now such phone don't exist, but certainly a highend Player do

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 18
Too much problems
redface.gif
allows me to skip it ......and I sold my Z3 lol.....don't have a phone now, probably gonna look for a cheap flip up phone or so!

The sound quality is distinctively different from both devices. I can say if good music on the go only, you will love Z3 quality....but if you are the type to spend more than couple hundreds for a pair of IEMS....you care bout sound quality, then any Dedicated DAP will always sound better than Z3.

you can try the cheaper one A15-17 or some cheaper Fiio if you really love musics, and I mean you also have 16/44.1 or higher tracks available. If MP3 is ur needs, then don't bother
biggrin.gif

If you wonder what the differences are in general...I will say

Subtles details, decays, instruments resonances, beats Impacts, notes impacts, tonality accuracy, instrument placements or sound stages.....yes, you can hear all these from any mobile phones if you really try to, and pay attentions. It will be like looking at a DVD quality movie vs Bluray quality. You will see and hear all those, but blurry, and won't be as sharp or satisfying
cool.gif

Now, I answered this part for my own curiosity. You can always try it out yourself...I am not sure if A15-17 will be that much of a differences, but If you are like me, love music enough, and have good files.....always wondered and seek for a good audiophile phone....my answer is for now such phone don't exist, but certainly a highend Player do

>.<
Properly encoded 320 kbps mp3 is virtually indistinguishable from FLAC files.

Anyways, if you want a phone with a nice audio section, try looking at the Vivo X5Max, Meizu MX4 Pro, or Xiaomi Mi Note Pro.  They use the ESS9018K2M DAC coupled with the OPA1612 op-amp.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 18
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #13 of 18
@Whitigir

Would you have a Hugo to pair with the Z3 to compare to the ZX2 by any chance?

I have bought a Z3C to work with my Hugo when my ZX1 battery dies!

I love the ZX1 standalone but pairing with the Hugo its battery is awful.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 18
@Whitigir

Would you have a Hugo to pair with the Z3 to compare to the ZX2 by any chance?

I have bought a Z3C to work with my Hugo when my ZX1 battery dies!

I love the ZX1 standalone but pairing with the Hugo its battery is awful.

I can't have the Hugo as financing is limited ^_^. But if you wonder

1/ Hugo has it own DAC, so when digitally connected, the Z3 or any other DAP will only be an hard drive extension, and sound quality will be processed by the Hugo alone. That means, it is meaningless for what you pair the Hugo with digitally, the Hugo will always be the one to sound

2/ If you do wonder analog signal to pair with an amplifier. I paired everything to my large rig amplifier. So far nothing beats the ZX2. But the acceptable level from a smartphone would be Z3 and apples. Apples has warmer sound and larger stage while Z3 has more detailed, and leaner sound with less stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back