Reputable recabler in the UK/Europe for AKG K1000
May 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Progenitor

100+ Head-Fier
I have used my K1000 for over a year and have realised that there is something magical about them. I have been told that recabling them makes quite a bit of difference since the stock cable is rubbish. The problem is that I suck at DIY and I have heard that a K1000 recabling job is difficult and risky.

I am wondering if any of you know of any reputable recabler similar to Moon Audio and APureSound operating in the UK or Europe. The reasons why I would prefer the phone to stay at this side of the world are cost and customs. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Also, do you have any suggestion on how I should terminate the K1000. I am currently running the K1000 out of my AudioValve RKV MKII which takes in a normal headphone converter. However, I can see myself upgrading the amp at some point and would prefer to keep the option of balanced open. I am thinking about keeping the same 4 pin configuration since that is a popular termination for a few amp manufacturers. However, any suggestions are welcomed!

May 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 3
You can get Stefan Audioart K1000 cable in Stone Audio. It is famous enough but not sure will it be as good as APS etc, no idea. Best ask K1000 owners about this.

May 4, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 3
I have a good impression of Stefan Art cable. Atm I am using a 4 pin XLR to Single End Stefan Art cable to feed my K1000 to my amp. Once I have the K1000 recabled I will definitely use that cable for my HD650.

To be honest, I am less fussed about the make of cable than finding someone to recable for me. I am sure Stefan art, Black Dragon, APS, etc all make awesome cables and I don't see myself going wrong going with any reputable cable maker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back