Reproduction of timbre
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #91 of 94
Could someone please suggest the free software and $100 mic, I guess it is, I would need to calibrate as discussed above? I’d prefer it would work on a Mac since my laptop is an old MacBook Pro 15” retina screen, if that would be an appropriate computer. We’ve got some Windows laptops lying around too.

Room EQ Wizard - https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
UMIK-1 Calibrated USB Mic - https://www.amazon.com/miniDSP-UMIK...fix=measurement+microphone+umi,aps,143&sr=8-3

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #92 of 94
I ran the auto EQ built into my Sunfire sub and my AVR. That is my baseline calibration. I save that as a default.

Bigshot, you've consistently talked about FR curves, training yourself to understand and manipulate them and how everyone else should do the same, I quote:

"It isn't that difficult to train yourself to understand how response curves work and how to manipulate them to get the results you want. Parametric equalizers are a bit non-intuitive at first, but once you get used to them, they are easy to adjust. With me the most important thing is to have a saved baseline response to compare to. Then you can easily compare to see if your adjustments have made things better or worse."

But now you're saying you don't even have any response curves, let alone understand, compare or manipulate them. What you've actually got is the EQ output curves your AVR has created, NOT response curves. Sorry bigshot but you don't even seem to understand what a response curve is (as opposed to an EQ output curve), let alone "trained yourself to understand how response curves work". What have you easily trained yourself to understand if you don't have any freq response curves and no equipment to obtain them?

G

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #93 of 94
After I run the auto EQ, it displays the response curve of the correction it made. That is the one I adjust. Perhaps it's just a terminology thing.

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #94 of 94
After I run the auto EQ, it displays the response curve of the correction it made. That is the one I adjust. Perhaps it's just a terminology thing.

Yep, that's not a freq response curve, that's an EQ correction/output curve. You don't actually know what the FR curve is at your listening position/s, either before or after your own EQ, so you don't have any idea if you're making it better or worse, just that it sounds better relative to your perception/preferences but how do you know that if you actually did get it better relative to an actual FR curve that you wouldn't like it even more? What you're doing is not "optimising" or "doing the best you can" and we (including you!), routinely "correct" audiophiles here for making assertions about "what the truth is", "optimising" and "what everyone else should do" based solely on their perceptions/preferences while ignoring the facts/evidence/measurements, which is exactly what you're doing!

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back