Report from Fall Metro N.Y. Head Fi Meet - 11/15/14
Nov 18, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #61 of 80
Hello everybody, the show was great!

Does anybody know what ear tips the noble booth was using?

Thanks!

I'm 99% positive they are Noble's house tips.  Silicone with red lining which attaches to the earphone.  Brennan is probably easy to reach through the Noble website.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #63 of 80
Thanks Scott for organizing this event! And thanks Nikongod for taking care of the auction. This was my first and def not my last. Hoping to join you guys next spring. 
I wished I spent more time at the Noble booth. I'm thinking about selling my 846 and getting the Kaiser 10's soon. :) 

Here are some photos from Saturday. Enjoy!

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #64 of 80
I wish the meet didn't fall on my anniversary. Sure looks like an awesome meet!!

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #65 of 80
Thanks again, Scott, for organizing another great meet. I wish I had been able to stay past noon, but unfortunately had other obligations.

Even though I spent as much time travelling as being at the meet itself, it was well worth the effort to catch up with some old friends and meet some new ones and check out some awesome gear. 

Will try to post impressions later when I have more time, but wanted to at least shout out some appreciation to Scott and thank everyone else for their participation as it is the willingness to share amongst members (and vendors) that make these meets so much fun.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #67 of 80
First of all I want to thank Scott for organizing such great meet which allowed me to hear stuff I wouldn't be able to otherwise .
My highlights :
Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime which are most refined in Dan's lineup and the gear Dan uses will let you hear the difference between Alpha Dogs and Prime so if you want to have most refined and natural sound in closed headphones Prime is the way way to go. I preferred them with the new Crimson amp over the Liquid because of better details and clarity
I also was surprised how different in the positive way new revision of Zmf X vibro sound, so similar to Dan's creations but still to get most refined sound I would recommend Prime
Also I would choose Crimson amp over the well known GS-X mk2 when driving HD800.
But the main highlight for me new product LIO from Vinnie Rossi which modular unit which allows you to have only what you need and upgrade later instead of selling it . I like HD800, Prime and LCD-3 with it
I also was surprised to see and hear portable tube Dac/Amp from Woo Audio which can easily drive HD800
I got a chance to hear Sony MDR-Z7 which for me just a refined version of 7520 but it's not really worth extra money.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #68 of 80
Thanks a bunch to Scott for making this all happen, and thanks to all of the people who came, cause you guys reallu make the meet fun!

Just some preliminary impressions:

Vendors: Awesome as usual! Had some great chats with Dan and Jack and Vinnie and the UE guys, as well as the other vendors too! It's really a pleasure to talk to them even if it isn't about headphones at all! The vendors are great and I really enjoyed talking to them all!
P.S, the funniest part of the whole meet was at setup when the UE folks couldn't get their sign set up and I offered to help, and the guy said "Have you ever set one of these up?", I said "no,", he said "neither have I." It was really a ridiculously crazy sign and neither of us could get it to work.

Woo Audio
I had a great time listening to and discussing the WA8 with Jack. It sounded very good, I wouldn't have known it was a transportable amplifier if I wasn't told, because it really does sound like a full desktop amp. I am really impressed that he was able to fit a step-up transformer with secondaries into such a small case! The selector switch for 2 or 3 tube mode is very interesting. It seemed like all the tubes were dual-triodes, so it would he cool to have a switch for "which 2 tubes of the three do you want". It really sounded good and I anticipate it will do well upon release.

Sigmas
Epic. Thanks to Joe for bringing them, it was awesome to hear how spacious they sounded!

Grado PS500e
These were a pleasant surprise, after not liking them when I demoed them in a store. I thought these had great extension and clarity, without being overly aggressive and bright. I thought these to be a step down from a T1, but no slouch, and for the money they cost, I would certainly call them worth it!

AMB M3
I had a really nice conversation with the young man who built the M3 using some random power supply his dad found. The amp sounded damn good with my LCD 2's and was very very crisp with no noise at all. We had a nice talk about my amp too, which was fun. We both agreed that the worst design decisions we made were to use locking headphone jacks. I figured that it would keep people from pulling the headphones out of the amp. While this is true, instead of pulling the headphones out of the jack, the amp gets pulled off the table... So nice job we did with that decision

Enigmas
I didn't get to listen for very long, but the headphones were really nice looking and sounded pretty good on Scott's Wire. I felt that they were a little dark but definitely had that feeling of being "there."

I'll think of more...

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #69 of 80

Woo Audio
I had a great time listening to and discussing the WA8 with Jack. It sounded very good, I wouldn't have known it was a transportable amplifier if I wasn't told, because it really does sound like a full desktop amp. I am really impressed that he was able to fit a step-up transformer with secondaries into such a small case! The selector switch for 2 or 3 tube mode is very interesting. It seemed like all the tubes were dual-triodes, so it would he cool to have a switch for "which 2 tubes of the three do you want". It really sounded good and I anticipate it will do well upon release.

YES!  It was such a treat to listen to that amp.  The WA8 could be my desktop amp without problem, it really does sound that good.  Congrats to Jack and Woo Audio on a great achievement.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #71 of 80
Post more  impressions if you have them.
 On another note.

NY Spring meet in babylon Sat may 16th 2015 see you all there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743424/official-new-york-spring-meet-sat-may-16-2015#post_11069629 

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #72 of 80
  Post more  impressions if you have them.
 On another note.

NY Spring meet in babylon Sat may 16th 2015 see you all there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743424/official-new-york-spring-meet-sat-may-16-2015#post_11069629

Music to my ears.... count me and at least one buddy in.

Thanks ahead of time,

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #73 of 80
Being so close to income tax I will probably be there too lol. I too will probably be bringing a buddy but a different one this time. The friend I brought to the metro meet ended up not being nearly as amped up about the meet as he said he was. To be fair, we were both pretty hung over and I'm pretty sure he just didn't care about any other headphones after he heard the zmf blackwood.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #74 of 80
Sorry for the late post but I've been so busy with work and trying
to fix things around the house - I haven't had any real downtime
since right before the Meet...

Packing up the night before/Morning of took longer than I thought!!

Unboxing and setting up was another thing all together...

Next door/table neighbor was Jack Wu (Woo Audio) himself and
he decided to listen to my setup of "his" amp and asked a bunch
of questions about cables and what was the silver box and
what exactly did it do 'cause his amp never sounded so good...
Medasi Jack!
wink_face.gif

Zack from ZMF & Brannan from Noble had me cracking up at times...
Yes Zack it is colder & windier in Chicago...
wink_face.gif

Towards the end I decided to leave the HA-1 running while I broke
down and packed up everything else and lo' and behold someone
decided to settle in for the long haul... NikonGod 
basshead.gif

All in all I had a very enjoyable experience answering all types
of questions from all manners, shades & walks of life - but the table
kept me from going about and trying out other gear like I did
@ the Spring Meet...

I got a chance to listen over at Woo Audio and Vinnie Rossi 
but the Star of the Show in my opinion was Telica and those brownies...
(Next time we have to take up a donation for those brownies to keep'em coming!)
They hit the spot and took things to another level... Now the After (errr...)
Party was another matter altogether... I enjoyed hearing about the escapades
of early Head-fi Meets that took place at various locations... Cali, Florida, 
Chicago, IMMTBIKER's House, etc, Stories of lost luggage, red eye flights,
amps on kitchen counter tops, etc... Bozebuttons, Immtbiker, Larry, Mullet ya'll
need to write a book on the Early Head-fi Days and those Not so Silent Meets!!!
What a wonderful way to end the Meet. See ya'll at the next one for sure!!!!

Oh Yeah the line of the day has to goto

IMMTBIKER - "Can I sit next to my Wife?" 
blink.gif
  Hilarious!!!

- Peace...
L3000.gif

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #75 of 80
Medasi Jack?! That sounds like "thank you Jack" in Twi ( a language in Ghana). Don't mind me if I am mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back