replaygain?
Jul 28, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as replaygain is concerned I can recommend going with album mode. My reason for this is this: The artist(s) meant for certain songs to be louder than others. Let's take Tools parabol and parabola for example. I hope you're familiar with it since that would really help. If you are using track gain you will notice that when the song changes the volume will decrease instead of going up. Parabola is by far the louder song and is indeed supposed to be. Especially on songs with are gapless you might notice something is off when using track as source mode.

Thanks for the heads up EnOYiN...

I'll have to check Lateralus out when I get home. I did a bunch of albums as album mode and track mode and I was basically getting the same db gain when I checked several of them, so I chose track mode. When I would get a bunch of random songs and put them on my ipod, I stuck with track mode, for a collective gain. But it does make sense...Thanks again..

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 20
I just re-scanned my stuff using the scan by album method, and what I realized was that instead of individually determining the gain for each track, it treated the album as a whole. There was an album peak, along with individual track peaks, and it adjusted the gain of the whole album along with each individual track

It seems as that's the better method, thanks dude. Now it's time for some listening.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #18 of 20
Album gain is preferred if you are going to listen to full albums in their original track order. But in that case, you have little need for ReplayGain at all! Sure, it will level the transition from album to album and prevent you from having to reach for the volume knob once per hour or so if you listen that long.

But where ReplayGain really shines is for people who like to build random playlists or jump from song to song. And for these purposes, track gain would be the way to go.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #19 of 20
Doing album gain scan, also give's you track gain, so that would be preffered.
And for us using a squeezebox, smart volume can be used; if next track is from same album, album gain, from a different one, track gain
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #20 of 20
I am using replaygain for about a year now. Unfortunately my phone does not support it. I am using Folderplay (to play flac) on my Nokia C7. The C7 can be hooked to any external DAC. But there is no support for replaygain. At the moment I used audacity to "amplify" all of my tracks to match the replaygain results. If I scan them now they are between -0.01 and +0.01 so they are equally loud.
But I need to manually open, edit and export each track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back